Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
tbrminsanity

Re: Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Postby tbrminsanity » 01 Sep 2016 15:00

Philip S. Tibbetts wrote:Manitoba

The pattern of horizontal lines recall water waves, however here they are depicted as straight rather than wavy to denote the ‘straits’ of Lake Manitoba that are the origin of the Lake’s, and thus the province’s, name. In the centre of the design is charged the gold Bison that is the emblem of Manitoba, placed on a green background as it is on the provincial coat of arm. A gold hoop divides the central green hoop from the outer deep red hoops. The red colour here serves to denote the ‘Red River Colony’ that went on to become Manitoba, whilst the deep rad shade is taken from the University of Manitoba

Northwest Territories

The design is composed of a quartered field. In the upper hoist quarter is charged a polar bear passant on blue which is the territorial symbol and features on the government emblem. The placement in the upper hoist quarter plays on the theme of the north west. The rest of the design is counter-changed accordingly.

I really like these two flags. I'm going to modify my Manitoba Flag to borrow some of the ideas you have in your flag design.

tbrminsanity

Postby tbrminsanity » 01 Sep 2016 15:30

Here are is my alternate design for Alberta:
Just a simple horizontal tricolour. White represents the mountains, strength, and endurance. Green represents the foothills, diversity, and change. And Yellow represents the prairies, community, and the people.

Here is my redesign of my Manitoba flag:
I change the flag from a diagonal to horizontally divided flag and borrowed Phillip S. Tibbetts' bison (colouring it to match the Manitoba coat of arms).

I've collected two other designs that I liked as alternatives to Provincial flags. These are not my designs and I claim no ownership over them.
Manitoba
This is a simple design that captures many of the elements that are associated with Manitoba. Furthermore, the sun's design is similar to many indigenous and Metis designs. This would pay homage to the origins of Manitoba as created by Louis Reil during the Red River Rebellion.

Ontario
I like this flag because, to me, it calls to the internal struggle within the province between the Liberals (Red) and Conservatives (Blue), and English (Red) and French (Blue). The balance between the two colours with the white trillium in between represents that Ontario is most at ease when both factions (political and/or cultural) are at balance with each other.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 02 Sep 2016 19:47

PaulJames wrote:But the thing it that this symbolism isn't historically important, in my humble opinion. The Viking presence in America is an interesting but minor historical footnote. A transient presence which made no lasting impact at all; a story of failure and irrelevance.

I'm pretty sure that the Vikings had a MAJOR impact on Britain, who, in turn, had a major impact on Newfoundland. "The North Remembers". ;-)

Return to “Americas”