Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 26 Mar 2013 23:06

Just like Alberta Party logo? I think adding the prairie rose is still a good idea.
alberta3.png

Blue and yellow shades are what are contemporaneously known as "Alberta blue" and "Alberta yellow".

Similar flag idea found on internet (author is named "Xelebes"):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 27 Mar 2013 23:52

Those shades in your proposal do work well enough there. I do like the rose, especially its symbolism and potential local resonance but I don't think it really works on the tri-colour as a background and I don't really like fimbrated charges. It could work if rather than a fimbriation the rose was placed on a disc which was placed wholly within the central hoop - perhaps the central hoop could be thickened to a ratio of 1:2:1 to allow a larger rose?

Xelebes' idea is a bit literal! A bit too fussy and busy and the grey/white contrast would be lost completely. I can see what he is trying to so but I think for this general theme the blue-green-gold tricolour is more elegant graphically and symbolically.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 01 Apr 2013 14:58

A whole new batch on wiki, and half a dozen I'd add today or tomorrow.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 02 Apr 2013 21:36

Great stuff, some really good designs in that batch. I particularly like Lizard Socks ingenious use of the military ribbons, Tobaron's crown-in-sun idea for BC and it is interesting to see Pimsleurable come up with the same plain tricolour for Alberta that we had been discussing here.

I look forward to seeing the next batch, hopefully including my proposal for Newfoundland & Labrador (and the two constituent areas)

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 03 Apr 2013 06:43

I'd like to note the tobaron's flags are made by myself based on his/her written description, that follows:
tobaron wrote:Just remove the Union Jack. Maybe add more waves and show more of the sun. It's the Sun of May, like on the flags of Uruguay and Argentina. An American republican symbol I would have thought you'd approve of? [talking to the author of the page, that's from USA.] I would do wave stripes in blue in the back, and the round sun in the center looking like Uruguay's, and maybe on the center of the sun a crown in blue or red.

I e-mailed to tobaron, but I never received the response. If you have a different interpretation about the text above, let me know.

I particularly like very much Jack Expo's version of Manitoba flag [see it], although I think I would turn the bison to the other side and, except in an exceptional occasion like this, I wold remove St. George's cross.
By the way, I knew about this forum in his blog, because Voronx used to frequent there, and my first blog post was a kind of reply to one of his posts.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 03 Apr 2013 21:00

Dear All,

I have to credit Hank Gigandet for drawing my attention to some of the issues with the current Newfoundland & Labrador provincial flag. Although the current flag is an interesting design and should be praised for its meaningful, original and distinctive approach it does have some notable, albeit reasonably subtle, drawbacks. Particularly is the fact that when caught around the pole little but white can be seen on the flag, furthermore the whole flag has a white border which is difficult to see.

Hank has his own proposal which can be seen http://images.wikia.com/vexillology/ima ... gandet.png and I created some further suggestions based on that. However given my preferred ‘bottom-up’ approach to new proposals I was keen to try my own designs from scratch. As much as anything this will hopefully just go to show the art of the possibly that can be achieve from a fresh piece of paper.

As such I decided to try and create individual designs for Labrador and Newfoundland, and then find a way to merge these for the provincial flag (which explains why I have opted here to actively create similar designs). Although I understand both areas have unofficial flags but given their unofficial status I felt there would be no harm in me attempting my own. Much of my inspiration is obviously drawn from early Viking names after I learnt that Newfoundland and Labrador corresponded strongly with Markland and Vinland. These names gave me some descriptive etymologies with which to work. Additionally it should be said that there is already an unofficial flag called ‘Vinland’ but that is possibly used by far-right elements and thus I hesitate to recommend that it be considered for the area.

Newfoundland

The Nordic Cross design recalls the historic pre-Colombian and trans-oceanic contact that Vikings had in the area. Specifically the name Vinland, which may mean ‘land of grapes’ is reflected in the bold purple field.

Labrador

The Nordic Cross design recalls the historic pre-Colombian and trans-oceanic contact that Vikings had in the area. Specifically the name Markland, which means ‘land of forest’ is reflected in the distinctive spruce green cross.

The colours here are arranged in such a way as to make their combination into a Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Flag easy:

Newfoundland & Labrador

The design represents a union of the two Nordic Crosses of Newfoundland and Labrador. The green central cross recalls the forests of Labrador and the Viking area of Markland, whilst the purple field denotes Newfoundland from the Viking term ‘Vinland’. The white fimbriation cross recalls the common unity across both areas. Both flags are represented equally and honourably – Labrador has it’s cross ‘on top’ of the design, whilst Newfoundland has the canton area. Thus both flags have the distinction of being displayed in equally senior positions.

or alternatively

As it transpires the Viking area Helluland seems to correspond to what we now call Baffin Island, which meant that I was able to think up a design for that island as well:

Baffin Island

The Nordic Cross design recalls the historic pre-Colombian and trans-oceanic contact that Vikings had in the area. Specifically the name Helluland, which means ‘land of flat stones’ is symbolised by the field of flat stone-white. The field is only broken by the black fimbriations of a voided cross.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 04 Apr 2013 08:12

These Nordic-style flags look good, but I think it would be very odd for Newfoundland & Labrador to adopt flags which relate to a small, transient and long-gone group of people who contributed nothing to the history, people and society of the modern province.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 04 Apr 2013 20:53

Your point is taken that the Nordic crosses may seem a bit far removed from the modern province and associated areas, but it did it was too rich a vein of historical important symbolism to resist. Plus it is always plausible that people find the idea culturally (and I dare-say) commercially stimulating. However even if that were the case it would be no easy task to ensure both areas adopted their crosses in order to make the combined cross ‘work’

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 05 Apr 2013 07:36

But the thing it that this symbolism isn't historically important, in my humble opinion. The Viking presence in America is an interesting but minor historical footnote. A transient presence which made no lasting impact at all; a story of failure and irrelevance.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 07 Apr 2013 04:30

The Baffin flag looks decidely 3rd reich to me ... :(

Return to “Americas”