U.S. flag with no stars

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
lizard-socks

U.S. flag with no stars

Postby lizard-socks » 17 Nov 2012 06:02

Yesterday I saw a flag flying outside a house. It looked just like a U.S. flag, except without the blue canton with the stars. In other words, it was just the red and white stripes, so it looked like this:
I couldn't figure out what the flag was for at first. My best guess is that it was one of these flags, but I probably saw it from the back:
The only official use of that flag is by the Navy, but I imagine it would be popular among libertarians, etc. But are there any other explanations for what this flag could be? I've never seen one like it before. (And why would you only print the snake on one side?)

grendelsbayne

Re: U.S. flag with no stars

Postby grendelsbayne » 17 Nov 2012 08:36

Failing to print the snake on both sides would be pretty stupid. How sure are you that it really had anything to do with the American flag in the first place? It could just as easily be a flag for some local organization (I don't know where you are, but striped flags are pretty common here). Could also possibly be a reference to Malaysia or Liberia, if that makes any sense with the population of your area.

Also, a quick search seems to indicate that the US navy also uses (or used to use?) a jack of stripes without the snake. Could be a naval officer who wanted to fly a less politically charged version.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 17 Nov 2012 14:27

The first US Jack may have looked like this (the snake and "Don't tread on me" are later inventions, probably). It's related to Sons of Liberty flag (nine vertical stripes), that evolved to thirteen horizontal stripes, that were used as merchant ensign between 1776 and 1800.

Source: http://www.loeser.us/flags/revolution.html

P.S. Does anyone know if it was ever used as a regimental flag?
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 17 Nov 2012 19:00

P.S. Does anyone know if it was ever used as a regimental flag?

I don't think it was ever used by a regular regiment. US Army colours generally use the same standard design that hasn't changed much:
"In the centre of the Color is the eagle from the Great Seal of the United States, but with the regimental coat of arms in the shield. The eagle has in its beak a scroll bearing the regimental motto, with the crest of the regiment's coat of arms above it and the regiment's name below. Attached to the Organizational Color will be the campaign and unit citation streamers awarded to the individual unit - these are equivalent to the battle honours embroidered directly onto the colours of British and Commonwealth units."
From Wikipedia

It could have been used as a militia flag. Officially militias were not issued with flags but the soldiers or their wives and daughters often made unofficial flags that were used.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 17 Nov 2012 19:05

forgot to inclide this link Leonardo. If you are interested in US military flags there is an interesting collection here
http://www.flagcollection.com/tour.php? ... andards#23

lizard-socks

Postby lizard-socks » 18 Nov 2012 03:10

grendelsbayne wrote:Could also possibly be a reference to Malaysia or Liberia, if that makes any sense with the population of your area.

I'm in the northern United States, so I figured it was probably related to the U.S. flag in sme way. Both the Malaysian and Liberian flags have cantons, anyway, so it wasn't either of those.

csaanv

Postby csaanv » 19 Nov 2012 23:28

Hi Yall,
I am from the southern United States or what use to be the former Confederate States of America. I live near Norfolk, Virginia that has one of the largest naval bases in the world. The U.S. Navy re-introduced the Don't Tread On Me, snake flag or better known as the First Naval Jack, soon after 9/11 (May 22, 2002) to note the War on Terror. It flys at the bow (front of the ship) while in port. The flag used by the U.S. Navy would have the snake and words on both sides. Stripe flags without the snake were almost exclusively used as naval flags and were very common in the era of the American Revolution. Sometimes they used red, white and blue stripes too.

Stripe-flag.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lizard-socks

Postby lizard-socks » 11 Dec 2012 23:16

I've gotten a good look now at both sides of the flag, and there's definitely no snake or words on either side.
Here's a (rather poor) photo I took recently through a bus window:

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 14 Dec 2012 17:00

csaanv wrote: The U.S. Navy re-introduced the Don't Tread On Me, snake flag or better known as the First Naval Jack, soon after 9/11 (May 22, 2002) to note the War on Terror. It flys at the bow (front of the ship) while in port. The flag used by the U.S. Navy would have the snake and words on both sides.

Very intersting flag you have there. Is the First Naval Jack used on all US warships, or only some? Its just there is also the 50 Stared Union Jack, (not to be confused with the British Union Jack). Do you know what type of ships would use these jacks?

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 14 Dec 2012 21:41

I'm not totally sure, but before 2001 only the oldest warship in activity used this jack, but after the start of War on Terror, it became the only jack.

Can anyone confirm the information?
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Return to “Americas”