Alternative Ontario Flag (proposals)

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Alternative Ontario Flag (proposals)

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 09 May 2012 22:03

And that?

ontario1.png

(I still prefer the first, but respect your opinion.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 09 May 2012 22:08

Hmm yes I'm inclined to agree that the "graphic artist" logo is hideous. If you are sticking with just the one symbol then I think that Sammy's use of the "Canadian Pale" in Ontario's colours is a clever idea. Having mooted the idea of combining the two symbols I did try to blend them but I don't think that they merge very naturally; a trilium charged on a maple leaf might be an option but I do like the idea of using a three stemmed maple as found on the provincial arms and thus being that bit more distinctively Ontarian. The leaves, by necessity therefore, have to be rather small and the trilium would just get lost sitting emplaced on one of those. In an attempt to see if the two symbols could be used in a more balanced manner, I came up with the following two alternative ideas.

ontaripropwav1.gif

ontaripropwav2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 09 May 2012 22:35

OK, I corrected to the "more Ontarian" maple leaf. And now?

ontario2.png

I'll give my opinion: I don't think that Ontario, with cities like Toronto and Ottawa, matches with so ancient symbols. Its image in world — I say because I live thousands of kilometers there — is of a modern and lively province.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Peregrine

Postby Peregrine » 10 May 2012 07:10

Yeah, I agree that the new logo looks too corporate. Symmetry is pleasing! I love Vexilo's latest suggestions, especially the top one

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 11 May 2012 14:44

I like vexilo's designs

Viceland

Postby Viceland » 24 Jul 2012 06:59

Sammy wrote:I like the green and gold I think they work together very well. I have kept close to the scheme of your flag although I have based it more on an Ontario version of the current Canadian flag. I agree on using either one or the other of the two symbols but it might be good if they can be combined in some way but I couldn't think of a way that I thought looked any good. My first design features the shield of the coat of arms, and I moved on from there.

I like your 3rd also, but flip the colours:

Smertios

Postby Smertios » 30 Jul 2012 16:25

This trillium design looks more like a Japanese mon flag than a Canadian one. I think the Canadian pale is the most distinguishable Canadian vexillological tradition. Yukon and the Northwest Territory already use the pattern.

Sammy wrote:Image

I like this one. I agree that Coats of Arms normally ruin flags. But this isn't the full arms. It's just the escutcheon, which is simple enough.

Perhaps I'd lose Saint George's Cross, though...

miquelon

Postby miquelon » 07 Aug 2012 16:53

Hello all

I agree, we need to change the flag of Ontario.
I started a petition at change.org for those who agree.

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... of-ontario

N ENGLISH - SEE BELOW FOR FRENCH

The current flag of Ontario was proposed by premier John Robarts and was adopted by the legislature as 'retaliation' for the new Canadian flag designed by George F. G. Stanley and John Matheson.

The current flag of Ontario does not reflect the province's cultural, ethnic and linguistic diversity.

Ref: Wikipedia - Flag Act of Ontario (May 21, 1965): Before 1965, the Canadian Red Ensign had served as the national flag of Canada. It was flown at all military installations in Canada and overseas, outside the legislature and government buildings, at Royal Canadian Legion halls, and many private homes. In 1964, the federal government, after a long and acrimonious debate, replaced the Red Ensign with the current flag of Canada. This decision was unpopular among millions of Canadians. These included many Ontarians, particularly in rural areas that made up much of the political base of Premier John Robarts' Ontario Progressive Conservatives.

EN FRANCAIS - TEXTE EN ANGLAIS CI-DESSUS

Le drapeau de la province de l'Ontario fut adopté par le gouvernement de John Robarts en 1965 car ce dernier n'aimait pas le nouveau drapeau du Canada proposé par George F. G. Stanley et John Matheson.

Ce drapeau ne reflète pas la diversité culturelle, ethnique et linguistique de la province.

Ref: Wikipedia - Loi sur le drapeau officiel (21 mai 1965) : Avant 1965, le Red Ensign canadien avait flotté sur la législature et les édifices gouvernementaux. Cette année-là, le gouvernement fédéral, après un débat long et acrimonieux, décide de remplacer le Red Ensign avec l'actuel drapeau du Canada. Cette décision était extrêmement impopulaire auprès des ontariens ruraux, qui formaient la base politique du Parti progressiste-conservateur du premier ministre John Robarts.

henryk

Postby henryk » 17 Aug 2012 22:08

My preference is for the 23 July flag, but with the trillium white with a green border, and 50% larger.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 18 Aug 2012 10:41

Personally, I don't like the use of the trillium on a flag. It's nice in itself, but it looks to me like a company logo, not a dignified symbol of statehood. The shield in the centre of a Canadian pale is OK, but perhaps the maple leaves alone would be better, on a yellow pale, and in 1:2 proportion, like the Canadian national flag:-

ontario.gif

Return to “Americas”