Fixing the Bad American State (and Territory) Flags

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
xotoxi

Re: Fixing the Bad American State (and Territory) Flags

Postby xotoxi » 26 Dec 2013 22:32

Here are some State Shields that I designed for the New England States. Granted they are not flags (as requested by the thread title] their color schemes and shapes could be easily converted onto a flag...maybe I will do just that.

The CT Shield incorporates the grapes that are on the current state shield.

The ME Shield would be perfect for the Pine Tree State.

The MA Shield honors the pilgrims.

The NH Shield represents the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The RI Shield incorporates the golden anchor that is currently on the state flag

The VT Shield represents the Green Mountains of Vermont.

As you can tell, I am a fan of simplicity.

Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff

Postby Marcus Wendel » 29 Dec 2013 15:06

:welcome:

Thanks for sharing your suggestions with us, xotoxi.

/Marcus

Banner

Postby Banner » 08 Feb 2014 16:30

I humbly submit my Iowa state flag proposal. I've recently become an Iowa resident, not that that increases my qualifications to design a new state flag but I have learned a bit about the state from having lived here.

Iowa prop1.jpg

As you can see I've eliminated reference to the french flag, Iowa's French heritage is minimal at best and none of the other states that came out of the Louisiana purchase reference the French flag in their state flags. Not even Louisiana, which has the strongest French heritage by far. (The pelican on the Louisiana flag is supposed to look a bit like a fleur-di-lis but to me that is quite a stretch.)

I did keep the proportions of the edge stripes. Using a logic parallel to Vexio when he proposed changing the edge stripes of the Canadian flag to blue to symbolize the country reaching from sea to sea, the blue on my Iowa proposal represents the rivers that form its eastern and western borders. Iowa is the only state in the US whose eastern and western borders are completely defined by rivers. The term “river to river” is sometimes used to refer to the state as a whole.

The stripes in the center echo those on the US flag. Instead of stars I've used them to represent Iowa being the 9th state to enter the union after the original 13. The stripes also represent rows of crops. Iowa does produce huge amounts of corn, but almost half its acreage is devoted to soybeans or crops other than corn, so just depicting corn isn't enough.

I'd love to hear others opinions on this design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Banner

Postby Banner » 11 Feb 2014 03:07

There are some very good proposals on this thread, and some good discussion as well. Though I've come a bit late to the party I have some observations and comments to make.

first off changing an existing flag is very difficult. Much more difficult than adopting a new one where none has existed before. Just ask the people behind Ausflag or read about the great Canadian flag debate. Another great and well documented example is the case study on an attempt to change the Oregon flag.
http://www.nava.org/sites/default/files/Redesigning%20the%20Oregon%20State%20Flag.pdf
On a national level typically flags only change when governments dramatically change and even then not always. Iraq is a good example of this. The reason Afghanistan has had more national flags of any country in modern history is because its government has changed so dramatically and so often.

On a state level Georgia succeeded, eventually, in replacing its confederate oriented flag with a design that is at least not awful. Mississippi, however, recently failed to change its flag which is also heavily confederate, to a perfectly good design. To me choosing the new flag would have been a no brainer but Mississippians voted 2-1 against it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi#2001_flag_referendum

To my knowledge the only state to have been encouraged to change its flag by NAVA's poll is Georgia and I'm not sure how much of an influence the poll had. In fact, other than minor tweaks has any other state changed its flag in the last 40 years?

That said momentum is building, if slowly. The Missouri legislature recently appointed a panel to decide if they needed a new state flag
http://www.newsdaily.com/health/44682535a10041926227d8382d620e05/mo-house-panel-hears-bill-to-study-state-flag

And, of course, just because everyone else is slow to understand doesn't mean we shouldn't experiment and explore and suggest.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 07 Mar 2014 14:47

Banner- Re: Iowa - Not bad, however, I would probably make the blue stripes thinner, so that they look more like rivers, and so that the middle bears a closer resemblance to general proportions of the state itself.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 07 Mar 2014 14:51

Xotoxi - I really like your shield designs. I also like the similarity of New Hampshire and Vermont. You'll note that your design for Vermont is very similar to one of my flag designs for the state.

Jamescnj1

Postby Jamescnj1 » 25 May 2014 22:50

There is a group on Facebook whose aim is to change Michigan's flag.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan ... 4973279224

bandk1

Postby bandk1 » 11 Jun 2014 14:02

Here's a take on Maine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Edionocrat2000

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 31 Aug 2014 14:04

I really like the Maine flag you made!

How about my Indiana flag? I was sort-of-miffed that there were no Miami/Peoria designs on Indiana's flag (after all, it is Indian-a) so I added a reference to Tecumseh in my flag.

indiana 1.png

This flag is a mix of Indiana's former colonizers, the British's, and of its motto, Crossroads of America. The grey circle in the middle represents the Indianapolis 500 and plays off of Indianapolis's flag. The orange belt raising upward with the shooting stars represents Tecumseh, the Shooting Star, and the Indians who live in Indiana, in addition to representing the Wabash. The four point star in the north-west symbolizes Indiana as originally part of the Northwest Territory. The torch in the middle is borrowed from the original flag with the star in the torch representing Indiana itself. Altogether we have stars with nineteen points symbolizing Indiana's ascension to the Union and a very happy flag.

False Dmitri

Postby False Dmitri » 11 Oct 2014 20:47

Hello! I am new to the forum. Philip's piasa flag for Illinois on this thread came up on an unrelated image search and drew me here. May I suggest this modification - ears of corn replace the wheat design. Maize is more distinctively Illinoisan than wheat. The piasa design is stunningly brilliant.

Return to “Americas”