Fixing the Bad American State (and Territory) Flags

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
bandk1

Pennsylvania Proposal

Postby bandk1 » 30 Sep 2013 22:46

As a Pennsylvanian I have messed around with the design of a new flag for years until I got to this one, which I'm really very comfortable with and it's certainly better than the rag we have now.

The design stays away from the colors of the sports teams in both major cities, Pittsburgh and Phildelphia.

The pointed design is intended to reflect "forward progress".

The green represents the "sylvania" part of Pennsylvania by giving a nod to both our forests and our history of timbering.

The black represents our rich anthracite and bituminous coal heritage - all underground and thus, on the bottom.

The silver bars represent steel beams, a nod to our other famous industry. It's also a color from the Penn family COA.

The blue represents our many lakes and waterways, including Lake Erie.

Obviously, any Pennsylvania design should incorporate our most famous icon, the keystone. Here, I've surrounded it with the circular thirteen stars from the original Betsy Ross American flag, created and first flown in Pennsylvania.

Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bandk1

Re: Fixing the Bad American State (and Territory) Flags

Postby bandk1 » 02 Oct 2013 01:16

Here is my take on a new flag for Virginia. Symbolism is pretty evident.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 02 Oct 2013 15:08

Not like we're looking back to things that divide us at all ..... Oh, and nice innovation to have a white five-pointed star. ;)

bandk1

Postby bandk1 » 03 Oct 2013 01:13

It's certainly a shame that people always look towards the bad in things. It's not civil war oriented. The Commonwealth of Virginia is known as "The Old Dominion." In the days of the English Civil War, those people loyal to the crown were known as Cavaliers. They became the founders of Virginia, hence the University nickname. These cavaliers were known to commonly carry swords. Not sure how any of that "divides us." The rest is simple USA red, white and blue because Virginia was one of the founding states of the union. 5 pointed stars represent a federal state. Pretty simple stuff. Thanks for the input.

bandk1

Postby bandk1 » 08 Oct 2013 17:52

A little different Indiana. I like the torch and rays from the current flag bacause it's unique. The rays demonstrate the whole "Crossroads of America" theme as well. On the right I've included the checkered flag from one of the most famous things in the state, the Indianapolis 500.

bandk1

Postby bandk1 » 12 Oct 2013 16:00

A little radical design for Wisconsin. Outside of cheese, I couldn't think of anything else "Wisconsin-ish" until I remembered that Jean Nicolet was the first European recorded to have been in Wisconsin and Jacques Marquette and the Jesuits were some of the first explorers of the area. Before anyone goes off and starts hammering about how the Europeans mistreated the native population, let it be noted that the French typically treated the Native Americans with dignity and respect, unlike the English.

So, Jean Nicolet was from Cherbourg, France. This flag is based on the design of the flag of Cherbourg - the blue and white stripes, horizontal on Cherbourg's, I tilted here. The stars and the golden orbs are from that flag as well.

The sun in the middle is taken from the sign of the Jesuit order.

The golden orbs also work on this to symbolize wheels of cheese.

I thought about putting on some voyageurs in a canoe but it seems to me the more picture-type things you put on a flag, the less heraldic it really is.

I don't know, this one looks a little like satanic or alchemedic symbolism to me sometimes too, so if anyone has any other ideas on Wisconsin I'd love to see them.

bandk1

Postby bandk1 » 01 Nov 2013 20:42

This is another take on Wisconsin using similar imagery

APS221

Postby APS221 » 12 Nov 2013 01:57

Yes, those are the flags I posted about here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2228
I've seen several articles about the designs in recent weeks.

xotoxi

Postby xotoxi » 26 Dec 2013 22:09

Here are two versions that I had created several years ago for my state of Maine.

This version incorporates the start that is on the current flag in the center, surrounded by a circle of 16 stars, representing the 16 counties of the state. The blue is the ocean and the green is the forest.

This version incorporates the same stars and colors with the same meanings, however the boundary between the green and blue symbolizes the northeasterly direction of the coastline of the state.

Return to “Americas”