U.S. flag with no stars

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
csaanv

Re: U.S. flag with no stars

Postby csaanv » 15 Dec 2012 17:08

The so called "First Naval Jack" is currently being used for any commissioned U.S. naval ship until the duration of the War on Terrorism. The previous "Union Jack", (my apologies to our British cousins) will probably return as the offical jack at a later date. Here is a link on the history of the flag by the US Department of the Navy. Although some of the facts have been recently challenged by flag historians. Below is a recent photo taken in Norfolk, Virginia of an older Aircraft carrier being serviced in the Postsmouth Naval Shipyard. Note the jack at half mast.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq122-1.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

katekrueger

Postby katekrueger » 15 Dec 2012 18:22

One of these flags has been flying in our neighborhood for awhile in Arizona. Does anyone know the meaning? I read on wiki that the best guess is "Unity"

IT READS: "My understanding of it would be Unity, instead of representing each state, its more than less representing the US as a whole."

But I'm unsure what that's supposed to mean.

csaanv

Postby csaanv » 16 Dec 2012 05:10

The stripe flag without the snake was a variant of the "Sons of Liberty" flag who were a pro-independence group protesting the tyranny of King George III of Great Britain during the colonial era. I would venture to say that those who fly that flag today would share the same sentiments for our present leadership.

Peter Ansoff

Postby Peter Ansoff » 06 Feb 2013 21:17

I wrote an article for Raven about the "First Navy Jack" a few years ago:

http://www.nava.org/documents/raven/vol ... 01-060.pdf

The plain red-and-white striped flag with no canton appears in many flag books as the flag of the Sons of Liberty. The source for this is an actual flag owned by the Bostonian Society. The historical povenance of the flag is very uncertain, it does not look like an 18th century relic, and there is no evidence that I know of that the SoL used any flag other the British union flag. I tend to think this is another legend that has grown with repetition.

Peter Ansoff

Chrisdinfl

Postby Chrisdinfl » 13 May 2017 09:37

It's the Sons of Liberty flag aka The Rebellious Strips. The first flag of The Sons of Liberty was composed of 4 white & 5 red vertical stripes. The original Sons of Liberty were:
Samuel Adams • Benedict Arnold • John Hancock • Patrick Henry • Jeff Otis, Jr., Paul Revere • James Swan • Alex McDougall • Benjamin Rush • Charles Thomson, Joseph Warren • Marinus Willett • Oliver Wolcott • Christopher Gadsden • Haym Salomon, Hercules Mulligan, Alex Trebk & Thomas Melvill.

Hope that answers your question.

Return to “Americas”