How to make 100+ flags over a summer: Nigerian state flags.

Discussions on flags used in Africa.
Edionocrat2000

How to make 100+ flags over a summer: Nigerian state flags.

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 13 Oct 2014 16:33

Khara. (Hi, guys.)
I'm a budding Nigerian-American vexillographist who noticed that Nigeria's flags suck. Not the national flag, which is original and memorable, but the state flags. Some of them are bad Photoshops, others are simply names written on paper, and some are nonexistent. While some flags are in fact good, the rest are as lazy as, well, America's.
That's why I designed my own over the summer.I designed 3 flags for each state and I'll let my colleagues decide which is the best. Good luck!

Lagos State
lagos2.png

My first Lagos State flag is my second-most favorite of the Lagos bunch. In the center there is an image of an Awori cap worn by chiefs in the Lagos area. In the corners are cowrie shells, which used to be a form of currency in Lagos. The five cowrie shells symbolize the number of letters in Lagos, with 3 on the bottom (number of letters in indigenous name Eko) and 2 in the top (number of syllables in Eko).The four colors are from the previous flag and they are open to interpretation.
Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Edionocrat2000

Re: How to make 100+ flags over a summer: Nigerian state fla

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 13 Oct 2014 16:42

My next two are less complex.
First is my favorite Lagos Flag!
lagos flag 2.png

This flag showcases a stylized African oil palm (Elaeis guineasis) symbolixing the flora and fauna of Lagos. then banners from the previous flag.
lagos state 3.png

This flag takes the name Lagos literally. It is a house, a nod to the people of Lagos, on an island surrounding by water (Lagos is a Portuguese term meaning lakes, btw.)
So which one do you like? Vote or something, I dunno.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: How to make 100+ flags over a summer: Nigerian state fla

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 16 Oct 2014 19:28

:welcome:

I like the first more, followed by the second. I think that the four stripes, an the cap fits Lagos well, but I think the number of shells strange. Maybe six, like the coat of arms, could be a better idea.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Edionocrat2000

Re: How to make 100+ flags over a summer: Nigerian state flags.

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 27 Nov 2014 03:32

Thank you for the heads up.

Edionocrat2000

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 27 Nov 2014 03:34

lago flag better.png
]
TAA-DAA! New and improved!

Edionocrat2000

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 27 Nov 2014 03:34

Thanks to Leonardo, here. Obrigado!

Edionocrat2000

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 27 Nov 2014 03:35

Man, it's been a while since I did this. Well, time to re-add! Sorry for those who have been patiently waiting. I'll see what I could do to be regular.

Edionocrat2000

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 27 Nov 2014 04:05

Kano State- (already has an awesome flag, but whatever)
Kano State 1
Looking back, this isn't my best flag- too many colors-but it captures the regality of Kano. As you can see here, it is the Gidan Rumfa (palace) in red, symbolizing authority, with the ethnic Arewa-Hausa symbol on it (in green), symbolizing the people. In the middle is a yellow triangle (peanut industry) and a white star (Islam).
kano state.png

This is probably my most favorite, fusing the peanut symbol (which is surprisingly well-known, who knew) with the original flag horizontally.
kano state 5.png

Finally, this flag is avant garde. It contains the peanut symbol on the top-right side and the original flag.
kano state 4.png

Bye!

ododobe

Postby ododobe » 08 Mar 2016 06:24

G'day
I am new to this site and was flicking through the pages when I came across your post.
I am a graphic designer with a particular set of skills and tools and want to help you realise
what I think is an interesting design.
I hope this is not too presumptuous me.

Nathan Stevens
Amatuer Vexillologist / Professional Graphic Designer
New Zealand

Flag Explanation:Red, Black, White stripes on the hoist represent Tino Rangatiratanga, Maori Heritage, the Black and White on the fly represent Cornish ancestry.

Tisserand

Postby Tisserand » 01 Apr 2016 16:01

Nice work !

Return to “Africa”