Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in it

Discussions on flags used in Africa.
pmdci

Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in it

Postby pmdci » 03 Jun 2014 11:38

Hello,

This is my first post at this forum, so please be gentle :P

I developed a peculiar interest in flags when I was four years old, which was encouraged by my father. Back then I used to draw flags on a notebook my father gave me and I would often copy them from publications that my dad used to get for me such as books about countries, sticker albums about flags, etc.

Anyway I found one of those notebooks recently along with a laminated sheet of flags which have been taken from some sort of magazine. In this laminated sheet there is a flag of Gaddafi's Libya (the all-green one) -- except that at the top-middle of the flag there is a golden Eagle of Saladin. In fact, this is the exact same eagle that used to be in the Federation of Arab Republics (the all-gold eagle with the solid gold shield).

At first I thought this was a Gadaffi's Presidential Flag of some sort. However I had a look around the internet and I never found such flag. I thought this could be some sort of print mistake, but it looks to elaborate to be a mistake.

I'm at a total loss here. Has anyone ever seen such flag before? I'm baffled!

Regards,
P.
I like to think of myself as a vexillologist but my wife just calls me special.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff

Re: Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 06 Jun 2014 14:32

Yes I remember seeing such a flag in some Book, way back in time. But unfortunately I can remember the meaning of it. Will conduct a search to see if I can come up with the Book.

pmdci

Re: Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in

Postby pmdci » 06 Jun 2014 16:51

Good do know that I am not going mad!

pmdci

Re: Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the HAWK OF QUARISH

Postby pmdci » 08 Jun 2014 14:09

Just a quick correction.

What I saw in the green Libyan flag was the HAWK OF QUARISH, not the EAGLE OF SALADIN.

Here is the exact hawk I saw. I remember it clearly due to the solid gold shield: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk_of_Qu ... ublics.svg

Again, the hawk would be at the top centre of the flag (not exactly in the middle).

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff

Re: Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in it

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 17 Jun 2017 13:08

Well I have not come up with a Picture, but I am inclined to say that it probaly have something to do with the Federation of Arab Republicsof Libya, Egypt and Syria. However it is not the Flag of the Federation which was the Hawk on a Field of horizontal stripes of Red White and Black the Hawk on the White Stripe.

Return to “Africa”