African Islands and territories flags

Discussions on flags used in Africa.
Demetrius

African Islands and territories flags

Postby Demetrius » 13 Dec 2013 15:47

Hello my friends, i am a newbie in this great forum, who would be interested to help me to create new flags of interesting African territories. I would like to discuss with everyone who is interested in creation.

1) Mafia Island
2) Socotra Island
3) Dakhlak Archipelago
4) St Helena Alternative Flag.
5) Nubia (Land of Egypt and North Sudan)
6) Kenyan Somali (North Eastern Province)

Thankfully, Demetrius.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: African Islands and territories flags

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 14 Dec 2013 20:13

:welcome:
Socotra yet have a flag, in my view, although the design isn't very good.
Do you want a flag to the island of Santa Helena only, or including the former dependencies of Tristan da Cunha and Ascension? There's a thread about the theme here.

About Dahlak islands, here's my proposal for now:

dahlak.png

The scallops represent the pearl fishery on the archipelago, famous since Ancient Rome and still relevant. They are four, because of the four inhabited islands of the archipelago. The white color also represent the white beaches. The red stands for the Red Sea, and is common in many Islamic states around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 15 Dec 2013 00:03

I came up with one for St.Helena during the earlier thread, although I don't think I ever posted it. It's not terribly inspiring, and I don't remember the reasons behind it (other than that the ship comes from the present flag) :roll: :

st helena nusm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Demetrius

Postby Demetrius » 13 Jan 2014 01:01

Leonardo Piccioni and Paul James thank you so much for your great replies. I applaud you for your well-grounded description about the flag of Dahlak.
There are quite old flags of Socotra and I am not sure if they are official? So would like to see a cork tree on their flag. Red-white flag of course.
About Mafia there is an idea about a palm tree. It is presented in Mombasa Republican Council, Bagamoyo logo and the tourism agencies of Mafia. The colours - green, blue, black or brown. The other elements could be fish or jahazi (a dhow), but optional. Thank you for your ideas and suggestions.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 13 Jan 2014 03:57

For Mafia Island, something based on its touristic logo. Tanzanian flag is added in one of the versions, like on Zanzibar flag.

mafia.png

mafia1.png
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 07 Mar 2014 15:33

Are you sure the Dahlak Islands shouldn't look more like this:?
dahlek island flag2.png

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 07 Mar 2014 15:48

What are them, VoronX?

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 11 Mar 2014 04:46

Daleks - check out Dr Who ;)

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 11 Mar 2014 14:58

I thought, looking at the image, that it was a kind of rattle :?.

Return to “Africa”