Ascension Island: New Flag?

Discussions on flags used in Africa.
Leonardo Piccioni

Ascension Island: New Flag?

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 03 Jun 2012 04:03

Ascension Island is part of British oversea territory of St. Helena, Tristan da Cunha and Ascension (formerly known as St. Helena and Dependencies), and after St. Helena and latterly Tristan da Cunha gained their own flag, it's the time of Ascension!

In this Flag Institute link (http://www.flaginstitute.org/Thames_Pageant_Flag_Guide.pdf), more exactly on page 18, it's possible to see what looks like the Ascension official final design.

ascensao.png

Does anybody know about the status of this Ascension flag? The last news about it I can remember is that the coat of arms above was in recognition process, and nothing more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

TheMapShop

Re: Ascension Island: New Flag?

Postby TheMapShop » 06 Aug 2012 20:19

Not sure about the status of the flag. I'm usually contacted about selling it in the shop (http://www.1-800flags.com) when a new flag comes out. I have mixed feelings about the design however. The insignia is gorgeous and has a lot of meaning embedded into it (it clearly was well thought out), but I don't like the side-by-side nature with the English crest higher and to the left, and their crest just sort of "stuck" somewhere that had some space. I think the incorporation could be better...maybe the crest in the center of the English emblem, or possibly center the crest with the English emblem in the background?

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 06 Aug 2012 21:50

Ummm ... it's the British, not English, union flag in the first quarter. ;) And the only part which is a crest is the bit on top of the helmet:

ascension crest.gif

The layout is common for British territories (and some ex-territories), and I think it's OK. But the inclusion of the full coat of arms with a thin border is not attractive and too fussy, in my opinion. I agree that the coat of arms is attractive, but it doesn't work on a blue background. For the flag, I would use only the shield from the arms, like this:

ascension altsm.gif

As for the status, according to a UK government minister on 6th July, the coat of arms has been approved by the Queen, but the flag is still subject to discussions between the Territory and the College of Arms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 07 Aug 2012 03:45

I still think your proposal is better than the one over College of Arms cogitation, but why not a red ensign on land? The background blue touching waves blue give me crackles in my eyes. Maybe a white outline, like on College's proposal, would make it look better.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 07 Aug 2012 08:03

Blue is the norm for overseas territory flags - Bermuda is the only exception. Canada and South Africa used to use red ensigns on land, but this was unofficial. The red ensign, plain or defaced, is the civilian flag for use on water.

I presume blue is used because, strictly speaking, these are the flags of the territorial governments, and British government agencies use blue ensigns.

Personally, I don't find the two blues bothersome, but a border could be added, although I'm not keen on them.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 07 Aug 2012 18:46

What about British Antarctic Territory, that uses a white ensign, and British Indian Ocean Territory, that uses a background with waves? Today, the question is also aesthetic, not only about traditions.

csaanv

Postby csaanv » 08 Aug 2012 18:56

Paul James' flag is very much an improvement over the "official" flag. Way too much detail. What were they thinking?

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 09 Aug 2012 13:28

British Antarctic Territory is one of the very few exceptions for a white ensign being used which (St George Cross or not) is normally only used by Queen's Ships AKA ships of the Royal Navy. There is not much more than a few research stations there and they use the flag, Vessels of the British Antarctic Survey use a blue ensign defaced with the shield from the coat of arms. British Indian ocean territory wavy lines origin are unknown. The only settlements on the Islands are the Anglo-American naval and air facilities. The flag does indeed fly at Diego Garcia, along with the American Flag. s also used by the Commissioner of the British Indian Ocean Territory who is based at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.As for this flag on a red background a red ensign version would be flow from Civil Ships registered to the territory. Bermuda is an exception to use red on land. Again red would be used by Civil ships but I think ships of the Bermuda Government would use a blue version. I think Gibraltar also used to used a red ensign with the coat of arms until they adopted a banner of their arms for use on land. So there are quite alot of exceptions to the rule :lol: But I agree a simple shield rather than the full coat of arms works far better. I think they should go one step further and use the banner of their arms on land like Gibraltar.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 09 Aug 2012 19:45

Sammy wrote:I think they should go one step further and use the banner of their arms on land like Gibraltar.

Depending of how it would be translated to a flag, it would look pretty good.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 10 May 2013 17:58

New Ascension flag, to be flown tomorrow:

ascensao_confirmed.png

Know more: http://www.ascension-island.gov.ac/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Raising-the-New-Ascension-Flag.pdf

Return to “Africa”