Swedish Military Colours

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 28 Aug 2008 14:21

Image
Parachute Jaeger School, presented at The Stockholm Artillery Yard by the Supreme Commander General Owe Wiktorin on 30 april 1996. The School was raised in 1952 hence the inscription on the Colour.

Image
The Royal War School, Karlberg, Colour Presented by HM King Gustaf VI Adolf on 13 December 1952. The Year 1792 is the date of the founding of the School which makes it one of the Oldest Officer Training School in the World.

Image
The new Colour was presented by Hm King Carl XVI Gustaf on 23 May 1992 at Karlberg Chateau at the 200th Anniversary of the School. The Royal War School became the Military Academy Karlberg on 1 January 1999.

The two other Military Academies has Colours of the same Pattern as above only with different Field Colours and with out the 1792 inscription.

The Military Academy Östersund has a Green Field Colour, presented by the Chief Joint Forces Command Lieutenant-General Bengt Arne Johannson on 22 January 2000. This Academy was formed in 1999 (but had its roots in 1984) and disbanded in 2005.

The Military Academy Halmstad, has a Red Field Colour, presented in Halmstad by the Inspector-General of the Air Force Lieutenant-General Jan Jonsson on 13 December 1999. The Academy originated as the Air Force Officer College raised in 1981 which became the Military Academy Halmstad in 1999.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 30 Aug 2008 13:12

The National Defence Academy has a Colour based on the School arms on a blue field a Sword within a Oakleaf wreath all yellow. This is based on a personal inspection of the said Colour, but I do not know when the Colour was presented.

Image
National NBC-Defence Centre, presented at the Stockholm Artillery Yard by the Supreme Commander General Owe Wiktorin on 30 april 1996. The Colour is based on the Arms of the Centre showing the Dragon an international symbol of NBC-fighters.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 04 Sep 2008 12:36

Image
Colours of this pattern is presented to units of the Navy (apart from the Coastal Artillery now the Amphibious Corps), certain Schools and Commands. The former Coastal Artillery (now the Amphibious Corps) have red Colours with the CA emblem in the middle and in the corners differenting symbols.

Image
Colour of the 1st Amphibious Regiment (Amf 1, formerly Royal Vaxholm Coastal Artillery Regiment KA 1), presented by HM King Carl XVI Gustaf and HRH Prince Carl Philip (himself an officer in the Amphibious Corps) on 12 June 2003. In the upper inner corner the badge of the town of Vaxholm and in the lower the Gotland Ram for heritage from the former Royal Gotland Coastal Artillery Regiment KA 3). The Regiment originated as the Vaxholm Artillery Corps raised in 1889, which in 1902 became the Royal Vaxholm Coastal Artillery Regiment (KA 1), which in 2000 became the Vaxholm Amphibious Regiment (Amf 1) and in 2006 the 1st Amphibious Regiment (Amf 1).

Image
Royal Karlskrona Coastal Artillery Regiment (KA 2), the Colour was presented at the Stockholm Royal Palace by HM King Gustaf V on 1 June 1945. The distinctive emblem is from the arms of the City of Karlskrona. KA 3 was raised on 1 January 1902 and disbanded on 31 October 2000.

The Royal Gotland Coastal Artillery Regiment (KA 3), had a Colour in the CA pattern with the Gotland Ram in the canton. I have no picture of this. KA 3 was raised 1 July 1937 and disbanded on 31 October 2000.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 06 Sep 2008 16:27

Image
Älvsborg Amphibious Regiment (Amf 4), the Colour was presented by the C.-in-C. of the Navy Viceadmiral Peter Nordbeck at the Stockholm Artillery Yard on 17 June 1995. Amf 4 was raised in 1942 as the Royal Älvsborg Coastal Artillery Regiment (KA 4) becoming Amf 4 in 2000. Disbanded in 2005.

Image
Royal Härnösand Coastal Artillery Regiment (KA 5), the Colour was presented by HM King Gustaf V at the Royal Palace in Stockholm on 1 June 1945. KA 5 was the last Coastal Artillery Regiment raised in 1953 as the Royal Härnösand CA Corps becoming a Regiment in 1975. Disbanded 1 January 1998.

Image
Amphibious Combat School, the Colour was presented to the then Coastal Artillery Centre by the C.-in-C. of the Navy Viceadmiral Peter Nordbeck at the Stockholm Artillery Yard on 17 June 1995. Since 1 july 2000 it is used by the renamed Amphibious Combat School. In 2005 the School was amalgamated with the Naval Schools to form the Sea Combat School.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 08 Sep 2008 14:20

The Swedish Air Force was formed from the Army Air Service and the Naval Air Service in 1926. The Air Force Units recived Colours of a simliar pattern: Blue with a Crowned Twobladed Propeller in the middle with a Unit Symbol in the upper inner Corner. Pictures is from the Book "Svenska flygvapnets förband och skolor under 1900-talet" by Christian Braunstein, Statens försvarshistoriska museer 2005.

Image
The Royal Västmanland Air Force Wing (F 1), the Colour was presented at the Gärdet in Stockholm by HM King Gustaf V on 16 June 1938. Following the disbandment of F 1 in 1983 the Colour was transferred to F 16 and later to the Army Museum. The burning Mountain is from the Arms of the Province of Västmanland. The Wing was raised on 1 July 1929 and disbanded on 30 June 1983.

Image
The Royal Roslagen Air Force Wing (F 2), the Colour was presented at the F 8 base at Barkarby on 6 June 1939 by HM King Gustaf V. The Orb is from the Arms of the Province of Uppland as the Roslagen Area doesn't have any Arms and forms part of Uppland. Today its kept at the Army Museum. F 2 was raised 1 July 1926 as the 2nd Air Corps but originated as the Naval Air Service's Winter Flying School at Hägernäs established in 1919. On 1 July 1936 it was named Royal Uppland Air Force Wing but changed it's name two months later to the Royal Roslagen Air Force Wing. In 1949 F 2 was reorganized into a Training Establishment and renamed Royal Roslagen Air Corps. This was disbanded on 30 June 1974.

Image
The Royal Östgöta Air Force Wing (F 3), the Colour was presented at the F 8 Base at Barkarby on 6 June 1939 by HM King Gustaf V. The Griffin and Roses is from the Arms of the Province of Östergötland. F 3 originated as the Army Flying School or the Ing 3 Detachment from 1913 based at Malmen in Linköping. In 1916 the Detachmnet become the Flying Company of the Field Telegraph Corps becomning the 3rd Air Corps upon the forming of the Air Force in 1926. On 1 September 1936 F 3 became the Royal Östgöta Air Force Wing. Disbanding on 30 June 1974, a detachment survived first under the F 13 and later under the F 16 Wings. Today the Former F 3 base at Malmen is used by the Helicopter Wing of the Defence Forces.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 12 Sep 2008 15:25

Image
Royal Jämtland Air Force Wing (F 4), the colour was presented at the Barkarby base of F 8 by HM King Gustaf V on 6 June 1939. The Elk attacked by the Eagle and Dog is from the Arms of the Province of Jämtland. F 4 was raised 1 July 1926 as the 4th Air Corps becoming Royal Jämtland Air Force Wing on 1 July 1936. The Wing was disbanded on 31 December 2004.

Image
The new F 4 Colour was presented by HM King Carl XVI Gustaf at Frösön (The F 4 base) on 2 September 2001. The Buck from the Arms of the Province of Hälsingland denoting heritage from the former F 15 Wing. Following the disbandment of the F 4 Wing the colour was transferred to the F 21 Wing.

Image
Royal War Flying School (F 5), the colour was presented on the F 8 base at Barkarby by HM King Guataf V on 6 June 1939.
F 5 was raised on 1 July 1926 at Ljungbyhed where flying activities had begun in 1910 and between 1915-1920 the Enoch Thulin Flying School was active there. F 5 was disbanded on 30 June 1998, but it was at the same time transformed into the Air Force Flying School.

Image
The new colour with the Badge from the School Arms was presented in Ljungbyhed by HM King Carl XVI Gustaf on 25 August 1996. Today it is carried by the AF Flying School.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 13 Sep 2008 21:42

Image
Royal Västgöta Air Force Wing (F 6), the Colour was presented by HRH Prince Gustaf Adolf at the F 6 base in Karlsborg on 5 December 1940. The F 6 Wing was raised 1 July 1939 and disbanded on 30 June 1994. The Lion and Star badge is from the Provincial Arms of Västergötland.

Image
Royal Skaraborg Air Force Wing (F 7), the Colour was presented at the F 7 base at Såtenäs in 1943 by HRH Prince Gustaf Adolf. The Badge is based on the Västergöland Lion without the stars as the County of Skaraborg had used the Arms of the Province of Västergötland. On the F 7 Colour the Stars was removed to create a difference from the F 6 Colour. The F 7 Wing was raised 1 July 1940.

Image
Royal Svea Air Force Wing (F 8), the Colour was presented at the F 8 base at Barkarby on 6 June 1939 by HM King Gustaf V. On 1 June 1974 it was transferred to the F 1 and in 1990 to the Army Museum. The Colour shows the St Eric's head from the Arms of Stockholm. Since 1999 it is kept at the Former F 8 Officer's Mess. The F 8 Wing was raised 1 June 1938 orignaly with the designation Royal Stockholm Air Force Wing. In 1961 the Wing was reduced to F 8 Depot and in 1963 it became Royal Svea Air Corps which mainly was a Anti Aircraft Missile Unit with two Sqns equiped with the British "Bloodhound". In 1962 it became the first Air Force Unit to recive Helicopters. On 30 june 1974 F 8 was disbanded.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 16 Sep 2008 13:17

Image
Royal Göta Air Force Wing (F 9), the Colour with the "Göta Lion" was presented at the F 9 base at Göteborg-Säve by HRH Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf on 13 October 1941. F 9 was raised in 1941 and disbanded on 30 June 1969.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 17 Sep 2008 12:01

Image
Royal Scanian Air Force Wing (F 10), the Colour with the Scanian Griffin's Head was presented at the F 8 Base at Barkarby by HM King Gustaf V on 17 September 1944. F 10 was raised in 1940 and disbanded 31 December 2002.

Image
Royal Södermanland Air Force Wing (F 11), the Colour was presented at the Great Square in the F 11 Garrison Town of Nyköping on 22 May 1942 by HRH Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf. Today it is kept at the Army Museum. The Griffin is from the provincial Arms of Södermanland. The Ticture is however changed from Black to Yellow to make it stand out on the Blue Field. F 11 was raised on 1 July 1941 and disbanded on 30 June 1980.

Image
Royal Kalmar Air Force Wing (F 12), the Colour was presented by HM King Gustaf V at the F 8 Base at Barkarby on 17 September 1944. The Tower, Stars and Waves are from the Arms of the City of Kalmar. These are the oldest municipal Arms in Sweden dating from 1250. F 12 was raised on 1 July 1942 and disbanded on 30 June 1980.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Posts: 1775
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 20:25

Re: Swedish Military Colours

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 21 Sep 2008 18:13

Image
Royal Bråvalla Air Force Wing (F 13), the Colour was presented at the F 8 Base at Barkarby by Hm King Gustaf V on 17 September 1944. Today it is kept at the Army Museum. During the Years 1974-94 and 1980-94 the Colours of the F 3 and F 11 was kept at the Wing as it preserved the traditions of these two Wings. F 13 was raised 1 July 1943 at the Bråvalla Gård (hence the name) near Norrköping (hence the St. Olof badge from the City Arms) and disbanded 30 June 1994.

Image
Royal Halland Air Force Wing (F 14), the Colour bearing the Lion from the provincial Arms of Halland was presented at the same time as the F 13 Colour. The raising of F 14 was ordered on 17 June 1942 and was declared operative on 2 July 1945. On 1 October 1961 F 14 was converted into a Ground Training Organization, Flying activities having ceased the day before. The new F 14 was given the name Halland Air Corps becoming the Air Force Halmstad Schools on 1 December 1972. In 1999 the name was changed to the Armed Forces Halmstad Schools.

Image
This was the new Colour presented to the Air Force Halmstad Schools by HRH Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland in May 1972. The three crowned Hearts is from the Arms of the City of Halmstad. The original F 14 was kept as a tradition Colour. Both Colours was kept upon the namechange in 1999.


Return to “Europe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests