New Northern Ireland Flag

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
Sammy

Re: New Northern Ireland Flag

Postby Sammy » 01 Jun 2012 14:12

playing about with Tricolours I made some different versions of my Northern Ireland Tricolour flag. Perhaps not as good as the original. I added a red hand in a yellow hexagon. Yellow and red reflecting the province of Ulster and the hexagon symbolising the six counties and the Giant's causeway. I have also tried putting these flags on their side (as demonstrated on flag 3) in the event a tricolour design even if with different colours is unacceptable to unionists. Flag 3 is defaced with the Stornmont Assembly Logo. Flag 4 bears text based on historical Helvetian Republic flag and various other flags that had the name of the country/state they represent. The text is Northern Ireland in the centre and the Gaelic and Scots translations above and below. Both these languages are officially recognised as regional second languages and local dialects are spoken within the province.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 01 Jun 2012 21:23

Sammy, there're Flag Institute's UK Flag Registry rules against lettering and coat of arms (apparently against shields, but not charges).

I liked the flag at center left (vertical stripes).
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Armiger

Postby Armiger » 02 Jun 2012 07:37

Sammy, there are Flag Institute's UK Flag Registry rules against lettering and coat of arms

The Flag Institute likes to think of itself as an official body with the right to make binding rulings. It's only "right" is to say who gets into its own flag registry. It does have the ear of the Flags and Heraldry Committee of the UK Parliament, but is in no way a government body. It makes no laws, but does a useful job in interpreting rules made by those who have that right and in advising on flag etiquette and good/bad taste.
Chris Green

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 02 Jun 2012 12:13

If unionists are willing to back St Patrick's Saltire as the flag, it solves all the problems.
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 02 Jun 2012 14:39

St. Patrick's flag is also a little popular in Republic of Ireland, but, being the Irish tricolour popular in Northern Ireland, I can't see big problem.

Personally, I like St. Patrick's flag, as you can see in my first post in this topic
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 06 Jun 2012 15:26

If unionists are willing to back St Patrick's Saltire as the flag, it solves all the problems
I think Unionists would accept St Patrick's Saltire. I do believe its even been given approval by the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland. I think however there have been a small number of occasions when Nationalist Politicians (perhaps unaware of its historical links to Ireland as a whole and its use in the Irish Republic) of a party which will remain nameless have said it is a British flag and refused to use/accept it. However the Saltire is used for example in the police badge which all political parties agreed on(including the nameless one mentioned here) so in fairness I think that is just the view of one or two Politicians rather than the party's policy. I think it would be accepted by the majority of all communities. :)

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 06 Jun 2012 16:45

Four points why it works excellently:
1. It's simple, maybe the simplest design presented here.
2. It's politically neutral, supposedly.
3. It represents Northern Irish identity, isn't a generic flag.
4. It's used for centuries. It's easier to somebody use something he knows and regards than something/someone force him to use it.

But the unanswered question is if we should:
a) use it right this way.
b) try to put Red Hand on it (OK, point 1 down). If yes, how would we put it?

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 06 Jun 2012 17:36

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:Four points why it works excellently:
1. It's simple, maybe the simplest design presented here.
2. It's politically neutral, supposedly.
3. It represents Northern Irish identity, isn't a generic flag.
4. It's used for centuries. It's easier to somebody use something he knows and regards than something/someone force him to use it.

But the unanswered question is if we should:
a) use it right this way.
b) try to put Red Hand on it (OK, point 1 down). If yes, how would we put it?

All good points and true. I would accept it with or without a red hand although I think most people from the unionist community would like the red hand. I would perhaps use the red hand and shield from the (Provence) Ulster flag rather than a star. Perhaps something like these I think they appeal to both Nationalists and unionists
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 07 Jun 2012 16:22

My first idea was something like your first design, but now I think the solution is more likely to second, with a centered charge, because 1:2 and 3:5 aren't the best proportions to put something in the quarters. What do you think about something simpler, like this?

irlanda-do-norte1.png

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 09 Jun 2012 18:33

I think its good. I would perhaps colour the shield yellow though, so you would have the colours from the province flag but that's probably just my personal taste. I included an olive wreath to symbolise peace in my first design but that was just something to make it a little more interesting.

Return to “Europe”