New Northern Ireland Flag

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
Sammy

New Northern Ireland Flag

Postby Sammy » 28 Apr 2012 19:53

Northern Ireland is the only region of the United Kingdom that does not have an official flag. It did have the Ulster Banner which was used between 1953 and 1972. This was a banner of the shield on the NI coat of arms, which in turn is based on the flag of the Ulster. The Ulster Banner is still used by Unionists and represent NI sports teams and players in football, golf, boxing and the Commonwealth games. The Cross of St Patrick represents Northern Ireland in the Union Flag/Jack. I feel NI needs a new flag, one that could help pull the two communities together after the recent conflict like the South African flag did. The old one is rejected by Nationalist/Republicans. St Patrick's Cross is seen as neutral and is used on the Police Service of Northern Ireland badge. I have a few ideas of my own but I would love to see other peoples ideas. Whether you are British, Irish, North Irish, Ulster, Ulster-Scots or just interested?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: New Northern Ireland Flag

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 30 Apr 2012 16:19

I personally like this proposal: Red Hand + St. Patrick's Flag (it's not my creation).

*Crowned

*Not crowned

Search: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Proposed_flags_of_Northern_Ireland
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 30 Apr 2012 19:55

yes as Saint Patrick's Saltire is what represents Northern Ireland in the Uninon Jack and is seen as neutral a version of it in some shape or form does seem the natural choice. The red hand is almost certainly going to be used as well. I doubt that nationalist would accept the crown, the six pointed star (representing the six counties) is a grey area though. In any designs I have made I used a hexegon as it can mean the same but looks less militant, it can also represent the Giant's Causway which I think everyone in the province can accept as being theirs. I also came across these video on yotube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzcb2JXYwmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UADLAgdY8

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 06 May 2012 10:15

I actually created a flag a while back that I thought would be as inoffensive as possible to all sides.

~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 06 May 2012 21:40

yes I like the idea of merging yellow(or gold) from the Ulster Flag into St Patrick's Saltire with the red hand. I have done some of my own versions that are completely yellow that I partly based on the Rathlin Island flag (Northern Ireland's only permanently inhabited island and alleged hiding place of Robert the Bruce) I had the idea of rather than defacing the actual cross putting something on each field mainly the red hand and the flax flower logo of the regional assembly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 07 May 2012 05:19

Icky no crowns (or harps) too controversial!
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 07 May 2012 18:01

TheNewTeddy wrote:Icky no crowns (or harps) too controversial!
yes I thought they might be which is why I made an alternative with symbols of peace instead. The people here look to their two flags (Irish Tricolour and Union Jack depending on their veiws) and don't seem to look past that and so I placed symbols which people see as theirs to help them identify with it. I am of course only too aware of controversy regarding flags here, even the issue of a new one to some is a controversial issue :( Although I found these designs on the new flag facebook page, they are not mine and were proposed by the moderator of that page. One is rather similar to yours TheNewTeddy. The other one is a simple St Patrick's Saltire on a yellow field, which I think works very well and having put the cross on a yellow or gold field before I was amazed when I saw this that I didn't think of it. Show simplicity is often the key.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 07 May 2012 18:06

On a different note I have to say that these designs by Ewout Bernardus Lamé and Robert Gardiner are my favourites.

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 07 May 2012 22:00

Either of your first two are good in my books. Your last one is too "complex" for my taste, and the third one has the "pointy star" that is controversial in some quarters.

I've always thought that some kind of pattern based on the giants causeway might be interesting.

Another idea, one that's a bit complicated IMO but workable given the situation, is the flag the Assembly seems to prefer

~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 08 May 2012 17:01

I agree with you on the Giant's Causeway pattern. I would use a hexagon shape to replace the star as it can represent the six counties but also be interpreted as a symbol of the Causeway. A pattern though might be too complicated to work into a flag but I suppose it’s worth a go! On the note of the Assembly flag, there is no official flag of the Assembly. That one you uploaded was proposed but didn’t get too far I’m afraid. Although the flax flower logo featured on it is used by the Northern Ireland Assembly. The only flag flown from the central buildings (including parliament buildings where the assembly sits) is the UK union flag as that is the only flag that has official status. Even at that it is only used 17 days a year to mark certain public holidays like the Queen’s Birthday or St Patrick’s day. On a similar note there is an interesting if not controversial debate on if the Tricolour flag of the Irish Republic should be used alongside the Union Jack at the Assembly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17674741

Return to “Europe”