UK flag without Scotland?

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
PaulJames

Re: National flag for England & Wales

Postby PaulJames » 19 Sep 2014 13:10

PeteCollier wrote:Here's the other. I prefer the first.
UKWE 2.png

I did this one back in August ( http://vexaldry.blog.co.uk/2014/08/05/a ... g-19053476 ).

I later produced another one on the same theme, but keeping the red, white and blue, with the blue representing the sea:

uk-pall-rwb.png

This became my preferred option if Scotland had left the union. Originally, I intended the three red arms to represent the three remaining nations, but the "Y" shape could just as easily represent peoples from two islands (GB and Ireland) coming together, in which case this could still be a UK flag (it never will, though!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon_Gardner

Postby Simon_Gardner » 19 Sep 2014 18:20

PaulJames wrote:I later produced another one on the same theme, but keeping the red, white and blue, with the blue representing the sea:

uk-pall-rwb.png

This became my preferred option if Scotland had left the union. Originally, I intended the three red arms to represent the three remaining nations, but the "Y" shape could just as easily represent peoples from two islands (GB and Ireland) coming together, in which case this could still be a UK flag (it never will, though!).

I think this is very good. For the reason already given. No Christian cross flavour. It's secular.
Last edited by Simon_Gardner on 19 Sep 2014 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 19 Sep 2014 21:37

Simon_Gardner wrote:I think this is very good. For the reason already given. No Christian cross falvour. It's secular.

That's certainly a benefit, but despite being a non-believer I don't worry too much about using patron saints' crosses in flags, because they've become national symbols in their own right, divorced from their religious origins.

Sammy

Re: UK flag without Scotland?

Postby Sammy » 20 Sep 2014 13:17

PaulJames wrote:I would rather this. It incorporates Wales, in the form of St.David's Cross, and uses the correct lighter blue for the Scottish flag.

uk-four-crosses-two-versions2.png

I am not sure I like the lighter blue or the Saltires going over St David's Cross, but that my own tastes. I do however think that St David's Cross is the best way to incorporate Wales in the Union Flag.

VoronX

Re: UK flag without Scotland?

Postby VoronX » 16 May 2017 16:00

Here are cleaned up versions of the ones I presented before:
uk-noscotland2.png
uk-noscotland1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Europe”