UK flag without Scotland?

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
empiretocommonwealth

Re: UK flag without Scotland?

Postby empiretocommonwealth » 10 Mar 2014 00:15

Now I have seen this flag on one of the numerous flag forums on Facebook. This is NOT my image, and NOT my copyright, but I thought this too was a very interesting idea ...

This person's concept is to show the unity of the crown, whilst returning us to the original countries' flags AND have the historic theme of the blue ensigns used on Commonwealth Realms and British Overseas Territories ....

Please note that this is not my artwork - which I think is wonderful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 10 Mar 2014 08:27

I don't understand. These couldn't serve as a national flag, which needs to be the same everywhere, and we already have nice, simple sub-national flags. Admittedly, they don't contain a common element indicating the union or Crown, but nor do most sub-national flags.

Also, if Scotland was independent it would emphatically not want a flag which makes it look like it's still a constituent part of the UK.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 12 Mar 2014 15:47

These designs are ridiculous for another reason. When the Queen dies and we get another jolly Windsor to rule over us, then the flag would have to be changed!
Which country would go for a flag that needs changed every time the head of state changes :roll:

On a broader note, I don't see why people want to spend their time redesigning flags for the UK constituent countries; flags already exist and folk appear to be happy with them. As a Welshman I'm annoyed by attempts to redesign a flag for Wales, and likewise I'm sure for Scots and English. The Northern Irish question is different of course as a good chunk of the people there don't identify with the current borders.

On the UK flag after Scotland issue, I'd have to assume that were Scotland to leave there would be no change to the Union Jack. No-one seems really to be in charge of the flag and I'm sure parliament would not think it an important issue to legislate on... :D

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 04 Jun 2014 08:25

In an idle moment, I drew ensigns and a royal banner to go with my preferred Scotland-free UK:
uk-no-scot-flags-blogged.png

I've altered the RAF roundel to match the new flag, although I'm not sure that would happen even if a new flag was adopted.

And my own rendering of the post-Scotland royal arms:
uk-arms-no-scotwm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

solstice1962

National flag for England & Wales

Postby solstice1962 » 10 Sep 2014 16:54

I'm suggesting that we adopt an old Tudor flag (or variation of) for a Britain without Scotland. The Tudors were the last English monarchs and their livery colours are a feature of the modern Welsh flag. Henry Tudor was Welsh. I'm leaving out Northern Ireland, since flags are a contentious thing there and only a million of them want to be British; most of Scots descent. Here are a few ideas.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

vexilo

Re: National flag for England & Wales

Postby vexilo » 14 Sep 2014 12:53

This a clever idea, what one might call thinking "outside the box"! I've not seen this specific area of our symbolic history consulted for this purpose before. Not sure I necessarily like the designs in question, at least not for use as a national flag but I admire your thinking!

solstice1962

Postby solstice1962 » 14 Sep 2014 16:49

image.jpg

Another possibility.

Or, how about a white flag with a green hoist and a Tudor rose in the fly.

solstice1962

Postby solstice1962 » 14 Sep 2014 22:00

image.jpg

Something like this with the hoist in green.

solstice1962

Postby solstice1962 » 15 Sep 2014 22:10

image.jpg

image.jpg

PeteCollier

Postby PeteCollier » 17 Sep 2014 00:03

I had a couple of thoughts on what one could use. Here's one:
UKWE 1.png

Return to “Europe”