Slovenian national flag

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
csaanv

Re: Slovenian national flag

Postby csaanv » 10 Feb 2011 18:31

Is this a serious proposal to change the national flag? I think your submissions are right on the mark.

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 15 Feb 2011 20:12

It is not even a proposal, it's much more than that. It is one of the constitutionally valid legal option to form the slovenian flag. Vertically formed slovenian flag have all the historical and constitutional legitimise to exist in reality. Csaanv, thaks for taking interest in slovenian flag.

As for the VoronX proposal, I must say it's very interesting and inovative and you are right that differently arrange colurs in shield (coat of arms) would work better, but than again we are bound with the constitutional rule on how slovenian shield is formed and how colours are arrange in it. Thank you VoronX, as well, to take interest in slovenian flag in it's historical break-point. Anyone who has any suggestion on the matter is wellcome to participate in this forum topic on vertical transformation of slovenian flag. :welcome:

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 23 Feb 2011 22:01

Check out an iteresting video simulation of transformation between two constitutionally valid forms of slovenian flag. Especially do focuse on changing size of, otherwise, too small slovenian coat of arms, as it groves while traditional horizontal slovenian flag passes into its final vertical evolutionary version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Lg7KHMhcs

Please share the link above with anyone you know and who might be interesting in vexillology. After all, when do you have such unique opportunity to observe a flag being born or, should I say, born again.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 24 Feb 2011 19:10

Nice! Now we just need to get a lot of people to start using it! (Or a few people in the Slovenian government.) Maybe get some made and take them to football matches! That'll get exposure!

I just had a thought: Would this be a constitutionally valid alternative?
Slovenia_Flag_diagonal.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 01 Mar 2011 07:06

Thanks again VoronX for the much needed support and very interesting suggestion on how slovenian flag might look :idea: . The suggestion you posted is (I'm sorry) not constitutionally valid alternative, because each of the color doesn't cover one third of flag's surface. In the case you posted, blue color covers more then one third, while white and red color each cover less then one third of flag's surface. Also coat of arms isn't equally divided between white and blue flag's color (more of the shield surface is in white flag's field and less in blue).

On the basis of the Law on coat of arms, flag and anthem of the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovenian national flag (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 67/1994, 14/1999), unfortunately, only slovenian flag with horizontal geometrical colour arrangement could be publicly used at this point of time. Therefore, legally speaking, some of the provisions of the above mentioned law must be officially changed first.

But then again, you are absolutely right, vertical slovenian flag do need some exposure to be widely publicly recognized and accepted.
Geometrical proportions of vertical slovenian flag.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 13 Mar 2011 06:19

Just as a curiosity I'm posting this rare 19th Century Slovenian flag with horizontally arrange slovenian colours overwritten with the text of first slovenian anthem titlet: "Forward the Flag of Glory". The anthem is no longer in legal use after 1990. Just wonder how long will it takes that Slovenia finally realized the same about the current horizontal slovenian flag and allow usage of its vertical alternative.
19th Century Slovenian flag with horizontally arrange slovenian colours.jpg

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 16 Mar 2011 21:40

I have corrected the proportions mathematically, so that the white, blue, and red areas are all equal (transition to blue occurs at (2^.5/3^.5) of the total length), centered the shield between the white and blue, and given the flag a 2:1 ratio.
Slovenia-new3.png
Is this better? I think it's very attractive.

csaanv

Postby csaanv » 18 Mar 2011 03:03

I have really like your previous attempts but not so sure about the moving the emblem in this version. It looks a little awkward. It breaks the "Rule of Thirds" rule.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 18 Mar 2011 18:10

In this version, I was attempting to follow the rules that state the three fields must be of equal area, and the shield must be half in the white and half in the blue. So it has to be somewhere on that blue-white dividing line. Do you have a better suggestion?

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 19 Apr 2011 23:05

Thank you VoronX for yet another interesting and innovative suggestion. Indeed three flag fields in you last version are of equal area and the area of coat of arms is now equally divided between white and blue flag's color. Although an interesting attempt to present historical slovenian colours, I think it is to complicated for actuale practical use. A flag is always just a simplified manifestation of the coat of arms colors, with your suggestion this manifestation wouldn't be simple or at least not simple enough and it would be difficult to properly manufacture the flag you suggest.

Even with the horizontal slovenian flag in use today there are difficulties in its legally valid production. Very few (if any) horizontal slovenian flag in official state use today are in accordance with the provisions of the Law on coat of arms, flag and anthem of the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovenian national flag (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 67/1994, 14/1999). Slovenian Constitution as well as the provisons of the above mentioned law, namely, clearly stated that the area of slovenian coat of arms must be equally divided between first - white and second - blue flags field. This rule with horizontal slovenian flag simply isn't obeyed in reality. Manufacturers unlawfully modify »the equal area rule«, by simply putting the coat of arms on the flag on such a way, that the shield is in the white flag's area with top half of its height and in the blue flag's area with its bottom half of its height. In such a way the area of slovenian coat of arms is no longer equally divided between two flag's areas, which is not only unconstitutionally but unlawfully as well.

I'm posting a comparison of lawfully (green stripe) and unlawfully (red stripe) positioning of slovenian coat of arms on horizontal version of slovenian flag in use today. The comparison is found on official geometrical rules for shield positioning on the flag from the Law on coat of arms, flag and anthem of the Republic of Slovenia and the Slovenian national flag (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 67/1994, 14/1999).

Comparison wb.gif

Comparison c.gif

Return to “Europe”