Changing National Flags

General discussions on flags and vexillology.
Banner

Changing National Flags

Postby Banner » 17 Feb 2014 21:15

I've been reading some old threads about changing Australia's and New Zealand's flags, along with "fixing" US state, Canadian and Australian provincial flags. It apears that most of the time national flags only change when governments change. The more dramatic the governmental change the more likely the flag is to change.

Obviously there are exceptions on both sides of this statement. Recently Iraq underwent a pretty drastic change in government but its flag only changed slightly. On the other side Canada is a famous example of a country changing its flag without a dramatic change in government. (At least not concurrently. Canada gained its independance in 1931 and changed its flag in 1964.)

So my question to the group is what are other examples of countries since Canada (1964) that have changed their national flags without a dramatic change in government?

Two come immediately to my mind, the country of Georgia and Belarus. Any more?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meiriongwril

Re: Changing National Flags

Postby Meiriongwril » 18 Feb 2014 15:23

Surely both those flag changes *were* the result of government changes - albeit with a small amount of time after the new party taking over and the flag change?

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 18 Feb 2014 16:45

I would argue the Flag of Spain has become the national flag without any drastic changes of government:
750px-Flag_of_Spain_svg.png

although the flag in its current form only dates form 1978 it has clearly evolved in various forms from the maritime ensigns chosen by Charles III in 1785:
Banderas_elegidas_por_Carlos_III.jpg

The modern Spanish flag (and some historical Spanish flags) while the coats of arms may be different is really modern version of this historical flag. Through use on land as well as sea it gradually replaced the Cross of Burgundy as the primary flag of Spain and eventually the national and state flag. This is down more to centuries of progress and use and gradual and minor changes rather than any drastic change in government. Although of course if you want to be technical you could argue they are different flags.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Banner

Postby Banner » 18 Feb 2014 18:36

I would not consider a party change a drastic government change, especially if it happened by peaceful means. I'm talking about the fall of comunism, etc.
I agree that Spain's flag came about without a change of government but it wasn't a recent change, since 1964.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 19 Feb 2014 15:29

Err - rose revolution in Georgia - not a drastic change?! One could also ague that the move from democracy to dictatorship under Lukashenko in Belarus (although gradual) is also a drastic change in government. Thus, I'd argue that it's clear that both these flag changes are in fact a result of drastic change.

Banner

Postby Banner » 19 Feb 2014 15:46

You are correct.

My point is that flag changes rarely if ever occur without such governmental changes. So your arguments support that belief, and bring us back to the original question.

Are there any examples of significant changes to national flags since 1964 that did not coincide with dramatic governmental changes?
Last edited by Banner on 19 Feb 2014 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 19 Feb 2014 16:17

Maybe the Tuvalu change and change back? These changes were I believe the result of democratic changes in government only - not drastic.

BTW - I do know that the arguments about Georgia and Belarus support your argument; but these two had been listed as exceptions to the rule :)

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 20 Feb 2014 05:01

Maybe Lesotho (2006)?
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 20 Feb 2014 16:36

An interesting one is when Macedonian (FYROM) changed its flag under pressure from other countries rather than due to internal changes.

APS221

Postby APS221 » 21 Feb 2014 06:49

I guess the 2010-2012 change to Malawi's flag would count. Bingu wa Mutharika supported the change. Based on what I've read, the change was not very popular among the public. Once Bingu wa Mutharika died and Joyce Banda became president, they changed it back.

Return to “Flags and vexillology in general”