A flag for your neighborhood

General discussions on flags and vexillology.
Leonardo Piccioni

A flag for your neighborhood

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 16 Nov 2013 04:28

I had an idea about to cool thread about flags: designing a flag to your neighborhood / local community / whatever-you-call-it.

Recently, I designed a flag to my neighborhood:

[Click on image to see rationale]

It was very funny, and I hope you'll have the same fun.

Is anybody excited with it?
Last edited by Leonardo Piccioni on 16 Nov 2013 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

jerbez
Forum Staff

Re: A flag for your neighborhood

Postby jerbez » 16 Nov 2013 10:40

Yes, I do like designing flags. I'll try and send some designs I made . Anyway, could you explain your design? What's your neighbourhood and why did you chose this desgn?

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 16 Nov 2013 14:41

Well, there's the link to rationale, but I'll explain it anyway. ;)

It's the flag of my bairro/barrio (without administrative purposes), located inside the city of São Paulo, Brazil. It's called Cidade Patriarca [Patriarch City] in tribute to José Bonifácio, the Brazilian Patriarch of Independence.

The red color represents the red soil and mug that used to be a key characteristic of the bairro, before all the streets are paved. The green tree stands for the fact that the neighborhood was based on an adaptation to the concept of garden city, even although it's a very proletary design. Even today, the neighborhood contrasts with the surroundings.

Finally, I'd like to give a reference to José Bonifácio. The issue is that, during the Empire, his family formed a kind of untitled nobility, because, although good comrades of the Emperor, the Andrada e Silva never accepted any nobility title or coat of arms (although they were offered more than once). The nearest to a heraldic reference I found is the coat of arms of Santos, home city of the Andrada e Silva family, that received a green and yellow bend (the colors of the flag of Brazil, that some suspect hr helped to design):

If I have time, maybe I'll draw a flag in Portuguese style, with mural crown and so.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

jerbez
Forum Staff

Postby jerbez » 16 Nov 2013 19:54

Very intersting, thank you.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 18 Nov 2013 19:33

Here are some basic designs for my neighbourhood/area. I am not completely satisfied with it, but here is a first draft:
Waterside flag.png

Waterside flag1.png

My town can really be divided into three or four main areas, the Cityside (west side of the River Foyle), the Waterside (east side of the river) and the more rural estates and villages that are in the city's administrative district. I live in the Waterside, which has seven main estates, these are represented by the stars, I also thought as their is an odd number they would be better in an "E" (for East)in the canton. The central design reflects the wider town, an oak leaf representing the meaning of the word Derry and the cross of St George and sword of St Paul representing the London prefix. (most people in the Waterside area would use the town's full title "Londonderry" while those in the Cityside prefer to just say "Derry"). I might change or try to improve this design later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

False Dmitri

Postby False Dmitri » 11 Oct 2014 20:59

I designed this flag for my county (Lake County, Illinois), based on the county government's logo/seal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Flags and vexillology in general”