Federation of the Holy Land - flag proposals

General discussions on flags and vexillology.
varpho

Federation of the Holy Land - flag proposals

Postby varpho » 04 Mar 2011 12:01

better resolution here

those are my proposals for a single flag of a proposed federal state in the Middle East, comprising of a Jewish and an Arabic [Palestinian] state.

all of them are based on a Biblical verse describing Kanaan as "a land flowing with milk and honey" [Ex 3:17].

i know it still may be controversial for non-Jewish population to have a flag with referrence to the Jewish holy scripture, but i think it would be a more fair solution than the magen david or menorah, because the very symbol of hexagon is a new one, not connected to any tradition of the region.

furthermore, it may be seen as a symbol of cooperation.

white is for milk [and for neutrality, it's the only colour featured on both the Israeli and Palestinian flag]
golden yellow is for honey [and for the holiness of the land, of the temple mount]
blue is for waters and sky [and Judaism and Israel]
green is for grass [and Islam and Palestine]
black is taken from the Palestinian flag
the design of two stripes, featured on most of the flags is based on the Israeli flag.

the sixness of the hexagon may also stand for five main religious traditions present in Israel and Palestine:
Judaism,
Islam,
Christianity,
Druzes,
Baha'i
and for atheists.

the triangle in #12 is a referrence to the Biblical grapevine and also to the triangle on the Palestinian flag.

vexilo

Re: Federation of the Holy Land - flag proposals

Postby vexilo » 04 Mar 2011 13:54

Some clever ideas and nice flags but I fear they would never "get off the ground" so to speak. I just doubt that Palestinians would ever accept any form of flag with Israeli type bars on it and I suspect the whole notion of a federation is completely unachievable but who knows.

In a more controversial fashion I contrived the following, whollly tongue in cheek of course...
fl.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

varpho

Postby varpho » 04 Mar 2011 14:17

yeah, i'm aware this is only a political fiction.
anyway, i think these stripes are a good thing, because they are typical for the Israeli flag, yet in fact they are neutral, i mean it isn't any religious or political symbol. it's just two stripes. :) of course it is based on the Jewish religious "towel", but anyway, it's too characteristic for this piece of land to abandon it. :)

jerbez
Forum Staff

Postby jerbez » 05 Mar 2011 17:36

the very symbol of hexagon is a new one, not connected to any tradition of the region.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think the hexagon is a neutral symbol. If you look closely to the Star of David, ther is a hexagon inside it! Therefore, I'm afraid that, apart fromother considerations, the Palestinians will never accept it.

varpho

Postby varpho » 06 Mar 2011 07:48

yes, but the magen david has also two triangles in it, which does not prevent Palestinians from having a chevron on their flag. ;)

varpho

Postby varpho » 03 Apr 2011 22:54

http://varpho.deviantart.com/art/Holy-L ... -200218682 - another flag proposals for a Federation of the Holy Land, this time without the Israeli stripes-pattern.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 22 Jul 2016 01:03

I worked with Ahmad Sameeh Massalha, an Aramaic-Israeli to design this secular Unity flag for the region of Canaan/Lower Levant/Holy Land. The purple-red is a combination of the red and black from the Palestinian flag and the blue of Israel's, and the teal olive tree combines Israel's blue and Palestine's green. Also, the region was known for the purple murex dye they produced, such that some text from Kassite Babylonian rulers refer to the dyes as Kinahnu. The similarity to Lebanon is intentional, but the stripes are 1/5 the width, not 1/4. The Olive tree is self-explanatory, a ubiquitous symbol of the region.
canaan-fifth-murrey.PNG

The numbers are not intentionally symbolic, but if one read into it, the leaves could refer to the 17 rakaahs recited per day in Islam and the 12 olives Israel's 12 tribes. (Though 12 could mean just about anything!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Flags and vexillology in general”