Bottom stripe of shield

Discussions on heraldry.
Hans L.

Bottom stripe of shield

Postby Hans L. » 18 Aug 2015 21:03

Base.png

Is there a heraldic term for a stripe at the bottom of the shield, i.e. the opposite of a chief? I've seen it being called a "base" or "terrace in base" on some websites; is this heraldically correct? It doesn't seem to be often included as one of the traditional ordinaries.

For those interested, I'm asking because part of one of my yet unpublished proposals for a heraldic emblem for Belarus is red with the lower third green, similar to its current flag, and I was wondering how to describe that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Bottom stripe of shield

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 19 Aug 2015 12:39

Yes, "terrace in base" works for sure, but I remember seing blazons with "a base", too. As a heraldic ordinary, vert on gules is not best heraldry, although a terrace vert on field gules is often tolerared e.g. in Hapsburg Hungarian heraldry.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Hans L.

Re: Bottom stripe of shield

Postby Hans L. » 20 Aug 2015 20:06

Thanks. I know the combination of red and green doesn't have great contrast, but with the arms being based on existing insignia (and partly on an accompanying flag proposal which in turn combines the current and 1991 flags) I don't have much choice except creating something entirely new.

Return to “Heraldry”