proposed arms for North Down & Ards Council

Discussions on heraldry.
Sammy

proposed arms for North Down & Ards Council

Postby Sammy » 15 Jan 2015 23:36

As of April 1 the 26 District councils in Northern Ireland are merging into 11 so called Super Councils. Here is the coat of arms proposed for one of them, North Down & Ards (at least that is the name at time of typing). The colours haven't been agreed, and a special committee (called the "colouring in committee" :lol: ) are currently looking at it.
_80297952_northdowncrest.png

It appears to include elements from the coat of arms of Bangor and Ards Borough Councils
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulJames

Re: proposed arms for North Down & Ards Council

Postby PaulJames » 16 Jan 2015 08:22

I presume a herald from the College of Arms is involved in the discussions?? The arms won't be legal without a proper grant, and if the council came up with something by themselves there's no guarantee that the Kings of Arms would be willing to grant it.

It looks OK, though ... fairly typical of British civic arms.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 16 Jan 2015 13:02

I assume the motto will be something fitting in Irish? :lol:

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 16 Jan 2015 18:25

I presume a herald from the College of Arms is involved in the discussions

I don't know, I presume they are, as NI Politicians are too useless to think of something like this. I actually read it on the BBC News website who said
"A black and white crest (by which they mean coat of arms) was suggested for the new council. However, a working group has now been set up to discuss the colour.
It has been dubbed the "colouring-in committee"."
It doesn't say who suggested the arms.
I assume the motto will be something fitting in Irish? :lol:

I wouldn't be so sure the motto might be the hardest thing to agree on.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 16 Jan 2015 23:11

I made some attempts, just for fun. Sorry if the blazon isn't exactly the same of original image.

north-down-e-ards.png

In the first, the coat of arms is colored similarly to Ards', except for the crest colored more like Bangor's.

north-down-e-ards1.png

The shield of the second is colored like Bangor's coat of arms. The crest resembles the coat of arms of Montgomery family [look at the rationale of Ards' coat of arms].

north-down-e-ards2.png

The third escutcheon is like the first, but with colours and metals reversed; the Polish-like eagle suddenly appears... I took a more "natural" approach coloring the crest.

Last attempt in my next post...

Additional notes: I'm not sure if the Bangor's dolphin is green or blue. I took the red hand from Ards' crest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 16 Jan 2015 23:14

My last one, so far.

north-down-e-ards3.png

I think that mixing the escutcheon of the first with the crest of the second is a good idea. I'm not sure if it's too similar to Ards' coat of arms, though.

P.S. I just noticed that the flags on the ship are crazy on the wind. I'm sorry.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 17 Jan 2015 14:28

In relation to if the College of arms is involved I found the minutes of early September online which the council votes to petion the College of Arms for a grant of arm. Chapter 7 P18 & 19.
http://www.northdownandards.gov.uk/Docu ... s_pm.aspx/
Leonardo Your second proposal is very much like the version on the BBC website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30835514
ndadc.png

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 03 May 2016 14:58

I emailed Ards and North Down Council enquiring on what colours were agreed for the coat of arms, and got a helpful and surprisingly quick response. The head of Administration sent me this photo of the arms and it is actually very close to the first variation of Leonardo's proposals (altough there are some minor differences)
ards and down Coat of Arms [125513].jpg

Goldenboy

Postby Goldenboy » 08 May 2016 17:33

Lots of interesting designs here! It will be interesting to see what the final result will be.

Return to “Heraldry”