Railway Cornet

Discussions on heraldry.
Sammy

Railway Cornet

Postby Sammy » 10 Sep 2014 21:01

This is a little design I made by messing about a little, but I like it. I don't know what to call it, either railway cornet or the ferroequinology crown. It's based on the naval crown.
ferroequinologal crown.png

The idea was for a rail themed cornet for the coat of arms or rail enthusiasts, or for the arms of towns and cities with rail links. Or possibly even coats of arms of rail companies or preservation groups?
The crown itself features rail track, with coloured locomotive wheels instead of gems and stones. The other decorations feature the frontal figure of an old steam locomotive, placed along the crown three times, each with coloured headlight (could be a possible reflection of a precious stone) for decoration. Between these is the RAILROAD CROSSING signs which may be a little to American style for the UK however I think it looks well. I am even thinking of using it on my own arms:
sams coat of arms crown.jpg

I am open to feedback or ideas if you have any.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Railway Cornet

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 11 Sep 2014 04:07

I really appreciate the idea of having railway coronets.

I know it's retro, but I think the smoke stacks would make it more similar to a crown. What about? Alternating to them, one could put wheels, crossing signs, railway signals or the own front of the locomotive. Soon I return to the forum to show some mockups.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 11 Sep 2014 07:02

Here are examples with smoke stacks and (very simple) railway signals, with wheels in the circlet.
In gold:

coroa-ferroequinologica.png

In more "natural" colors:

coroa-ferroequinologica1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 11 Sep 2014 14:00

I like the idea of the smokestacks, I would never have thought of that. I had considered using signal lamps however I didn't think it worked well with the locomotives, however it works brilliantly with the smokestacks. Although I do think your smoke stacks lack a little character, however I love the idea so I modified it slightly:
ferroequinologal crown2.png

I think keeping a little bit of the engine's "smokebox" at the base, and putting a smaller spark aleister at the top, as was done on later Victorian designs, rather than your "balloon stack" design, makes the chimney a little more distinctive. I also added a carrying handle t the signal lamps.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 11 Sep 2014 18:35

I agree that Victorian stacks and the handles are great improvements of the design; you did a good job there. However, I'm not a fan of the smokeboxes, for purely-personal aesthetic preferences.

What about something like this?

coroa-ferroequinologica2.png

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 11 Sep 2014 20:03

I am pretty fond of the smokebox. However I think we have the basic design of chimneys and lamps sorted so perhaps we should leave the smokeboxes to the descretion of the artist. :)

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 11 Sep 2014 20:34

Sammy wrote:I am pretty fond of the smokebox. However I think we have the basic design of chimneys and lamps sorted so perhaps we should leave the smokeboxes to the descretion of the artist. :)

For me, settled.

Return to “Heraldry”