Heraldic descrpition

Discussions on heraldry.
Sammy

Heraldic descrpition

Postby Sammy » 07 Jan 2014 23:44

I was wondering out of curiosity what the proper description of my coat of arms design (which Leonardo Piccioni and particularly Paul James helped with in designing a lot) is in proper heraldic language?
mckittrick%20new%20idea.gif

The arms feature a lion rampant and a boarder of white thistle and flax flowers.
While the crest features a lion salient with a locomotive wheel.
Can anyone help here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Heraldic descrpition

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 08 Jan 2014 03:14

Each language has a blazonment tradition, so sometimes, even if a blazonment is technically correct, it may not be according the customs. Keeping that in mind, my try is:

Shield: Sable, a lion rampant or within a bordure compony of flax flowers and thistles, all argent.
Crest: A lion salient or resting the sinister forepaw on a wagon wheel proper.
Last edited by Leonardo Piccioni on 08 Jan 2014 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

jerbez
Forum Staff

Postby jerbez » 08 Jan 2014 14:19

I wouldn't blazon the bordure as "compony". I'd rather say: Sable, a lion rampant or within a bordure of the field with four wax flowers and four thistles, all argent, alternating.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 08 Jan 2014 18:53

So I guess that "sable, a lion rampant or within a bordure of four flax flowers and four thistles, all argent, alternating" or "sable, a lion rampant or, within a bordure of the field four flax flowers and four thistles, all argent, alternating" may work too, right?
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 08 Jan 2014 19:45

Charges arranged like this, where they are not on a separate border, are described as being "in orle" or "an orle of".

So, the shield here would be something like :

Sable a lion rampant Or within an orle of flax flowers and thistles alternately Argent.

or, to be more precise about the number:

Sable, a lion rampant Or within an orle of four flax flowers alternating with four thistles Argent.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 09 Jan 2014 20:01

thanks for all the help.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 25 Jul 2015 22:34

Would like to inform you all that I got this coat of arms registered as an early Birthday Present with the International Register of Arms. It can be viewed at http://www.armorial-register.com/arms-i ... -arms.html

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 26 Jul 2015 15:22

Sammy wrote:Would like to inform you all that I got this coat of arms registered as an early Birthday Present with the International Register of Arms. It can be viewed at http://www.armorial-register.com/arms-i ... -arms.html

To celebrate your registration, I've just re-drawn it, using vector graphics instead of bitmap, and increasing the size of the crest :)

a-sammy-new.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 27 Jul 2015 04:32

Both Paul's and registration artwork are pretty nice. But the mottoes differ.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 27 Jul 2015 21:24

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:the mottoes differ.

I hadn't noticed that! However the registration one seems to be correct. Cito non Temere - for Swiftly/Quickly, not rashly. A Latin Proverb. I have only ever seen rashly written as " temere" but I am not exactly fluent, is " tempere" a more modern variant of the spelling?

Return to “Heraldry”