WW2 Allies flag

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.
Sammy

WW2 Allies flag

Postby Sammy » 01 Apr 2014 19:52

Some designs for an Allies flag I did
Alied.png

red white and blue design as most of the Allied flags had at least one of these colours. With a V symbolising the V for Victory sign commonly used during the war, and the white star which from 1944 was used on all Allied vehicles.
Allied2.png

A different design featuring a circle of stars for unity, and red white and black stripes reflective of the four freedoms flag and the invasion stripes insignia used on allied aircraft prior to and after D-Day.
Allied.png

Alternative version with the V for victory replacing the star.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meinsauer

Re: WW2 Allies flag

Postby Meinsauer » 01 Apr 2014 22:21

The first design looks very good. When I look at the 2nd and 3rd designs, however, the first thing I see are two Imperial German flags hung vertically, one a mirror of the other. Unfortunately, that flag was used for a brief time by the nazi regime, and is sometimes used as a "polite" flag for old nazi Germany. An idea might be to replace the black with blue, giving the impression of a mirrored French flag, and then go with some other color for the diamond.

Sammy

Re: WW2 Allies flag

Postby Sammy » 02 Apr 2014 21:52

the first thing I see are two Imperial German flags hung vertically

Good point, I had noticed that myself however it is a mix of the so called "invasion stripes" that identified allied aircraft
3427163873_d58cfe9ae5.jpg

and the "four freedoms" flag that saw use primarily after the war but to a lesser extent during it by the forerunner nations of the UN:
800px-Four_Freedoms_Flag_or_United_Nations_Honour_Flag_ca_1943-1948_svg.png

I Thought the symbolism might have shoen through the German colours, but what about this similar but slightly different design:
Allied2a.png

It still has the symbolism of the white vehicle star and aircraft stripes but without any possible confusion with German colours, although it does lose the red whit and blue symbolism.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other flags”