Mars Colony

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.
Sammy

Mars Colony

Postby Sammy » 13 Aug 2013 14:54

I was reading an article about a program called Mars-One aimed at establishing a human colony on Mars by 2023. Apparently this is actually a real project! Now weather you think these people are brave or crazy I thought this is a relatively unexplored aspect of flag design. What would the flag of an Earth Colony (in this case Mars) look like. I did some quick designs based on astrological symbols. The flag has a red field representing Mars, There is also an Earth Symbol (circle with cross) inside the Mars symbol (the male sign). There is also a pair of human hands which is representing humanity.
Mars flag.png

There is also on some designs blue and green stripes representing the Earth connection.
Mars flag1.png

Mars flag2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Mars Colony

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 13 Aug 2013 15:37

Based on Whitney Smith's proposal to Antarctica? The male symbol is very obvious, but maybe we can find a more striking symbol.

Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 13 Aug 2013 18:24

Here's a quick thought based on the same symbolism as Sammy's, with Mars's two moons added:

marssm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 13 Aug 2013 19:13

The arrow is pointing the wrong direction.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 13 Aug 2013 20:09

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:The arrow is pointing the wrong direction.

Artistic licence :) ... because the diagonal arrow doesn't work too well when the symbol is filling the flag. And since this is the flag of the colony, not the planet as such, it doesn't have to perfectly match the astronomical symbol, as long as it is suggestive of it.

A couple of other variations:

mars3sm.png

mars4sm.png

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 13 Aug 2013 21:47

My final suggestion this evening : the orbits of Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars, with the Martian symbol conveniently pointing out into space, suggestive of further exploration to come.

marsmcsm.png

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 16 Aug 2013 14:44

Based on Whitney Smith's proposal to Antarctica?
Yes I got the idea of the hands from that design but the astrological symbols were an idea from my older designs for an 'Earth Flag' I like the design with the moons Paul James that's very clever.

ododobe

Postby ododobe » 13 Mar 2016 03:14

It think the astrological symbol for Mars is too ingrained in people's minds as one of being a male and masculinity.
Unfortunately not something that is very popular these days but that a whole different forum.

I decided to go with implied symbolism with a white arrow head at the hoist. It also doubles as symbolic of a journey to the red planet.
The rest is obvious, I hope, with the two dot representing Mars' two moons.
The planet with its marking of longitude and latitude, plus the shading, are the same as the representation of Earth of my proposed Earth flag providing a link through similarity.

Nathan Stevens
Amatuer Vexillologist / Professional Graphic Designer
New Zealand

Flag Explanation:Red, Black, White stripes on the hoist represent Tino Rangatiratanga, Maori Heritage, the Black and White on the fly represent Cornish ancestry.

codingcat

Postby codingcat » 31 May 2017 18:01

My flag design shows a red background, representing Mars, a white stripe, to represent a new start for humanity, and a star to represent humans shining over Mars as superiors.
marscolonyflag.png

Return to “Other flags”