Ideas for an "Earth Flag"

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.
TheNewTeddy

Ideas for an "Earth Flag"

Postby TheNewTeddy » 22 Jun 2012 08:56

I can actually draw this right here using ASCII:

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

The black is for outer space, on the grounds that the only reason we would need an earth flag is if/when we go into space and need some kind of flag for earth

The Blue is for the sky and/or water

The Green is for the land

Ideally there would be some sort of very very simplistic image in the canton, such as a stickman, in white, representing humanity, or perhaps the "earth symbol" from old latin times.
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Ideas for an "Earth Flag"

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 24 Jun 2012 02:21

Interesting, but... why outer space would be represented in a Earth flag?

Oh, by the way, I want to post an uncompleted Earth flag from mine. First half is terrestrial sky at day, second half is it at night. It never looked good for me because of color scheme.
planeta-terra.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 27 Jun 2012 18:19

An interesting topic. I would assume that if mankind ever ventures into space as an Earth rather than individual national project. then I would have thought the United Nations flag would be the natural choice. I think that is the flag used on the international space station?
I Googled Earth Flag and found this article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Earth I also found various examples scattered about the internet.
My first thought was something to symbolise the continents of Earth in the same way the Olympic rings do. I also liked the idea of a symbol of some sort although this would be difficult as different cultures would have different symbols so a latin symbol might not mean the same to Chines or Arabs?
My first design takes inspiration from the UN flag and the Olympic flag with a wreath representing pace and the stars representing the continents. The symbol in the middle is the astronomical symbol of the Earth. Which I thought would be the most appropriate. It was also used on some of the flags I came across on the internet. The most widely used symbolisation is the circle represents the globe and the cross the points of the compass, but different cultures sometimes use different meanings but it has been used for Earth for hundreds if not thousands of years.
The second flag replaced the earth symbol with the male/female symbols representing humanity.
The last design features the Earth symbol but the light blue and green fields represent land and sea. There is more blue as the planet is mostly water. (I can't remember the exact figure but I think its 70-80%).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 27 Jun 2012 18:27

some more designs from the internet :http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Flags_of_Earth

If the Earth has a flag what should the flag of the moon be? After all it has been claimed by the Americans lol

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 10 Feb 2013 11:41

glad these are just designs and not used for real.

ododobe

Postby ododobe » 11 Mar 2016 10:17

I know it is similar to United nations assorted flags but as I see it they are pretty effective at representing Earth. I stuck with the basic globe with wreath but added a green section to a) indicate a shadow from the sun and b) to represent the fact that about a third of the planet is land.
The latin in the banner translates to "Unity and Peace" and I chose latin because it is the origin of many languages.

Nathan Stevens
Amatuer Vexillologist / Professional Graphic Designer
New Zealand

Flag Explanation:Red, Black, White stripes on the hoist represent Tino Rangatiratanga, Maori Heritage, the Black and White on the fly represent Cornish ancestry.

Tisserand

Postby Tisserand » 01 Apr 2016 22:14

The flag of the project "International flag of Earth Planet"

XVM36ff563a-ffd5-11e4-8fa9-db018e93646b-805x453.jpg

"Centered in the flag, seven rings form a flower – a symbol of the life on Earth. The rings are linked to each other, which represents how everything on our planet, directly or indirectly, are linked. The blue field represents water which is essential for life – also as the oceans cover most of our planet's surface. The flower's outer rings form a circle which could be seen as a symbol of Earth as a planet and the blue surface could represent the universe."

http://www.flagofplanetearth.com/#intro-shift

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 04 Jun 2016 01:00

I always thought a symbol based upon a solar Eclipse would be a good representation of Earth. It is one thing (along with life) which makes us truly unique. I'll see if I can find the design I started a while back somewhere...

Return to “Other flags”