Family/Personal flags

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.
Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Family/Personal flags

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 18 Sep 2012 22:51

Thank you so much. I'd prefer a barred helm affronté, please, but as I never knew about a Brazilian coat of arms used by somebody that wasn't a count, marquess, baron or any title similar, I really don't know if there's a difference.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 10 Feb 2013 11:37

PaulJames wrote:Are you sure this coat of arms was used by a McKittrick (and, more to the point, a McKittrick to whom you are the heir)? Looking in Burke's General Armory and Papworth's Ordinary of Arms (both late 19th century editions), I found several names of people using a gold lion rampant on black, but no McKittrick, and no other arms for anyone of that name. The fact that there were several using the same coat was unfortunate in itself, because undifferenced arms should be unique to one man at a time. Can I ask where the picture comes from?

yeah you have to be careful about those Coat of arms sheets that have "jones, smiths, greens" etc... as people get tricked that it must be all the same.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 21 Mar 2014 09:26

Going back to this old thread, I've been re-thinking my own coat of arms, and came up with this. Dolphins are common in the arms of people with my ancestral surname, but in order to avoid the risk of duplication (since I can't prove a relationship to any armorial Jameses) I went for natural, rather than heraldic, dolphins. I think they look nicer too!

The colours still come from the flags of the countries I've lived in, and the division is enarched to represent the Earth, so that the blue represents the Atlantic Ocean which I have lived on both sides of and crossed many times.

pjnewarms.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 21 Mar 2014 15:21

Very nice - and visually most appealing! Looks like I'll have to think of something now!!

Paul - do you use any special software for designing coats-of-arms?

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 21 Mar 2014 18:39

Meiriongwril wrote:Very nice - and visually most appealing! Looks like I'll have to think of something now!!

Paul - do you use any special software for designing coats-of-arms?

Thank you :)

I'm drawing vector graphics using Inkscape, after many years of raster images with Paint Shop Pro 5. I've tinkered with Inkscape over the last couple of years, but only started drawing from scratch this year. I'm still a novice, but I think vector images are so much better than bitmaps for this sort of thing!

This is a flags forum, so here's the banner, and a heraldic standard:

banner-standard.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 01 Apr 2014 19:23

Very nice, I particularly like the standard

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 09 Apr 2014 22:07

The arms have been through another transformation, after a bit of a rethink and reworking, followed by some discussion :

pjnewarms7.png

pticman

Postby pticman » 11 Apr 2014 16:51

Here is my personal flag. It is based on my coat of arms which has been registered.

The armiger was born in the Philippines and moved to the United States in 1996 to further his studies in Medicine. The coat of arms was assumed in 1995 during the height of his medical school years to serve as inspiration to his life as he moved forward in his career.

The two mullets signify togetherness in life, in pairs, and will never be alone.

The Argent field represents the sky above the earth, and pureness of thought. The Azure portion of the field represents the Earth where we all dwell. It also signifies peace in the family.

The American Bald Eagle was chosen as the crest because of its obvious connection with the United States of America. Before the armiger arrived in the USA, his coat of arms only existed as a shield. On arrival, the American Eagle was added as a symbolic representation of it landing as a crest.

The Motto Adolore Ad Gloriam is Latin for From Pains To Gains and reflects on the hardships he has endured from childhood to accomplish his dreams arriving at the status he has now achieved.

Eregrîn

Postby Eregrîn » 14 Apr 2014 04:40

I've been working on a flag for a while, but I'm coming up short on the colors. If I want to keep the holly and the spears colored properly (green leaves and red berries, and brown shaft and silver heads, respectively), I have difficulty with the shade of green and the background color(s) in particular.

Maybe I could put it into a circle, or lengthen the spearheads for a more elegant look... I don't know. I keep getting bogged down in these details.

Any suggestions, examples, or illustrated changes would be greatly appreciated. 8-)

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 14 Apr 2014 09:02

Other than the fact that the holly/spear device needs to be on a light background (yellow or white), by fimbriating or another shape, I think it really comes down to your choice. What colours do you want? Will it symbolize anything in particular?

Here's a few simple variants to be going on with:

holly-flag.png

Return to “Other flags”