Personal and/or Family Flag

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.
VoronX

Personal and/or Family Flag

Postby VoronX » 08 Apr 2011 18:02

I've been trying to work out my personal flag for a while. I've simultaneously been trying to come up with a family flag - though I'm not sure the two need to be very different. I'm moving my family into a new house soon, which renewed my interest in settling upon a design. Now, our last name starts with "X", so a saltire-based design has dominated the design process. It is a little serendipitous that the community we are moving into has street names based on locations in Scotland.

I've found it very difficult even to settle upon colors, let alone a final design. Some of my earlier designs were way too complicated and tried to incorporate too many symbolic colors. I have around 200 different variations I've saved over the months, though I think I'm getting close to a winner. I'd like to take a moment to express my extreme displeasure at Nazi Germany, and the many neo-nazi groups out there who have pretty much ruined and effectively bogarted the red-white-black color scheme (outside of simple tricolors), especially when it comes to angular devices. My wife (who loves red) was asking about what one of my designs would look like in red, and so I had to show her how a simple color change can turn a nice design into something you would not want to hang in front of your house.

I'm also not set on proportion. Logic dictates that I go 5:3, but the origin of our name being Slavic, and my country's own flag being almost 2:1 make me wonder if a slightly longer flag is in order - like maybe 7:4 (which has symbolic significance as well).

So, below you will find 3 of my current leading designs. Note that the black and wine color might flip-flop, and the exact color may change (you can see three variations here), though we've pretty much settled on a hue ranging from deep red to violet, white, and black. The white (argent) represents silver, the Moon, family, nurturing and healing. The black represents Hard work, stability, discipline, the Earth, the Night, groundedness, stability, and our gothic (culture) roots. The wine is a combination of red (vigor, passion, love, fighting spirit, and animal nature) and purple (spirituality, prosperity, royalty (our son is named after an emperor), wisdom, enlightenment, intellect) and symbolizes the combination of the lowest and the highest, the beginning and the end, the first and the last, for example like the colors of the rainbow.

X-flag-20110407-2j.png

The current frontrunner. This one, with its complex geometry and counterchanging hearkens to the State of Maryland, where we live.

XX1.png

Another beloved design. This one has symbology of (Mr.) X + (Ms.) X = X.X. (our son's initials), and gives a flavor of our scandanavian/germanic roots. I think it is very elegant inits simplicity, and yet, very unique.

another-x-flag6-med.png

The wife likes this one a lot. This showcases the 7:4 ratio, and the redder color. I might add some fimbriation between the halves, though it might not need it. I don't know if I'm done with this one, as it might benefit from a device. I've been contemplating adding a star, maybe a unicursal hexagram.

What do you all think? Comments or suggestions are welcome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meinsauer

Re: Personal and/or Family Flag

Postby Meinsauer » 08 Apr 2011 22:51

I like the first one best. The second one is good, but it reminds me of the "double cross" logo that Charlie Chaplin used in his movie "The Great Dictator". :) I don't really care for the black next to wine on the third flag. Having 2 dark colors next to each other just doesn't work for me. BTW, not sure where in the USA you live, but where I live a lot of companies use black, white, and red in their logos and advertisements, and nobody thinks anything of it.

BCharlton

Postby BCharlton » 11 Apr 2011 05:05

I rather like the first design, but the choice of colours is depressing. Good Luck.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 05 May 2011 00:11

Evolution:
This grew out of the first design above.
Gyronny of 8, murrey [vin?]/sable, fimbriated or, a voided saltire [insert descriptive related to shape/position] argent, counterchanged.
A little warmer. I'm contemplating this for personal use, and thinking of one with the X gold as well.
X-flag-20110411-v4.png

This grew out of the third design. I added a charge and separated the colors symmetrically.
x-flag-gyronny-star6c-med.png
x-flag-gyronny-star6-med.png

You can see here the subtle difference in mood a slight change in color makes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 05 May 2011 07:36

And here you have the winner (more or less), which grew out of design two from above.
I'm showing two competing versions, the former is the original idea, and works wonderfully, but is unfortunately very complicated to construct, with unfortunate fractions involved - I'm working at simplification.

There's the possibility of making the central white diamond gold, or else making the orthagonal outside chevrons gold, but this is essentially it.
XXXX1-normalized-small.png

I also made a version that was more symmetrical, shown here with a simple 3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3 color division on each side, but the wife didn't like it as much as the one above. Despite the mathematical beauty of this one, I'm inclined to agree. When distorted to square, this one is the same from all multiples of 90 degrees and reversed. The main difference is whether the hidden central 5th 'X' ends at the corners or on the top and bottom.
XXXX2a6-10to18a-3-232-3-232-3-sm.png

The square version makes a great icon.
XXXX2-icon.png

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 06 May 2011 11:52

Hey that's superb - really unusual yet simple in construction - love the colours too - I'm jealous!

Thought you might like this

voronxwaving.gif

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 06 May 2011 17:55

@vexilo-
Thank you so much! High words of praise from such a discerning connoisseur. The waving flaglooks great!

So I was trying to figure out how one would blazon this flag, or as a coat of arms, and the closest I could find was [a fimbriated] "Saltire parted and fretty", except that that always shows the over-under "basket-weave" effect. I suppose "murrey, two bendlets and two bendlets sinister sable, fimbriated argent" gives the general impression.

One thing I forgot to mention was the runic symbolism incorporated into the flag. The Prime symbols are the Gebo (2 or 4 interlocking), Othala (4 interlocking), and Ingwaz runes (central diamond or 2 anglo-saxon versions interlocking), symbolizing partnership/giving/receiving, estate/family/land/possessions, and Harmony/unity/agreement/love, respectively. We are currently buying a new home (a tudor-style) and this design effort is partly to commemmorate that accomplishment. Coincidentally, the development is named after Tantallon Castle in Scotland, so a saltire motif is rather fitting.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 07 May 2011 12:05

Well you have managed to combine a lot of symbolism into this one design that's for certain.

Your heraldic blazon sounds pretty good to me but I am no expert in the art - I'll pass your query on to someone who is.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 09 May 2011 12:39

I received the following observation regarding a blazon for your flag.

With "murrey, two bendlets and two bendlets sinister sable, fimbriated argent" we don't know how the fimbriation works with regard to the overlapping of the bendlets and bendlets sinister; but if "conjoined" is added after "sinister" I think it becomes clear. My suggestion is "murrey two bendlets and as many bendlets sinister conjoined sable fimbriated argent". "As many" because one tries to avoid repeating numerals in blazoning and this is how it is typically done.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 17 May 2011 19:05

Thank You. Of course, a modernized way to say it might just be to say "murrey, an octothorpe in saltire, sable, fimbriated argent."

So, now the question is, Pantone 188, 209, or 7421?
(or 195 or 1955 or 216 or 222 or 19-1650-TCX ?)

It's hard to jusdge these colors without a real life sample.

Return to “Other flags”