Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
GoldenWest

Re: Australian State flags

Postby GoldenWest » 10 Feb 2013 12:32

Hmm not really a fan of these. they just dont do it for me

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 10 Feb 2013 20:00

I don't mind a sort of template for the federal areas but I don't think they should be forces on the individual states.

The banners of the arms for South and Western Australia would make fine flags. I might have a go at some others after I've finished with US State proposals

Although I think British ensigns are over-used I do think they would be appropriate for Governor's flags as GoldenWest's designs are good.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 10 Feb 2013 20:56

Actually thought I might quickly whip up some ideas and post them here. I've done these as a 2:3 ratio, though everything could easily be recreated as 1:2 (or if necessary a strip can be added by the hoist to make it fit with the 'federal template' if so desired.

Here are three that are very close to their existing arms. Victoria sees a change where I have emphasised the crown rather than using the southern cross as it would/is too easy to mistake for the current national flag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 10 Feb 2013 21:00

And here are the design for the other three states, which happen to be a little more adventurous.

New South Wales
Inspired by the construction of the 'Old Wales' flag but utilising New South Wales colours and icons

Queensland
Using the distinctive cross with a gyronny background that refers to the 'Sunshine State' nickname

Tasmania
The diamond refers to the island nature of the state. In the centre is a Thylacine rampant from the coat of arms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 10 Feb 2013 23:11

My ideal set by far, without "Australian pale" fashion to provinces:
Tasmania: Thylacine in bottle green (state color).
New South Wales: Philip's proposal.
Queensland: Philip's proposal.
Victoria: The crown under a star formation that remembers Eureka flag.
South Australia: Philip's proposal, but with a more exclusive background color (rhodochrosite is state color).
Western Australia: Black swan in yellow. The current badge, it was used by secessionists in early secessionist flag:
Northern Territory: The current flag, only proportions changed.
Australian Capital Territory: The creator of current flag is campaigning to update his work. This is it, with the same proportions I adopted to NT.
australian-states-territories.png
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 10 Feb 2013 23:18

They all work very well and are far more distinct from each other than currently.

Leonardo's Victoria flag is a very good compromise in the way it uses the stars and crown. The South Australia tweak he makes also does improve the distinctiveness of that flag - it may not be as close to the arms but it is more unique which has to be a good thing.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 20 Feb 2013 15:09

Having argued for its inclusion I certainly approve the use of a thylacine on the proposed Tasmanian flags however I think we still need a version that is a little less pictorial; as Leonardo suggests, this set against the state's botle green colour seems sensible. Not sure about the need for the diamond as it may be superfluous but it's not unattractive.

I agree that the black swan seems to be the obvious designs for Western Australia but I don't feel the banner of arms is anything like as attractive or dynamic as the black silhouette on a yellow field, the state badge and the form used on the state's current flag. Expanding this into a "banner" as Leonardo suggests, seems a better option to me.

I think the crown on all the Victoria proposals is a bit too heraldic, too fussy but I do like Leonardo's rearrangement within the stars.

The South Australia colour which Brendan Jones features on his proposal at http://bc.id.au/flags/sa.html does lend the flag a great distinction and the combination of this colour and the yellow disc from the arms, as Leonardo illustrates, is most effective.

I think Philip's Queensland proposal is a beautiful and unique design. I do wonder that the gyronny pattern might be considered too aribitrary but certainly it makes a superb flag.

New South Wales. The waratah device was also used by Brendan Jones at http://bc.id.au/flags/nsw.html and seems to be a resonant local charge as does the light blue colour.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 20 Feb 2013 15:40

The New South Wales' waratah was present in many proposals during the 1990s. If you search for "new south wales flag proposal", you'll see many actual waratah flags flying. I don't know if it's really popular, or it's just an organized campaign, though.

An example of a thylacine found on Australian heraldry:

A less pictorial version I'm currently working on:
tasmania1.png
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PeteCollier

Postby PeteCollier » 21 Feb 2013 02:24

KISS.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 21 Feb 2013 03:44

Not so simple, I'd say. It doesn't even look like a thylacine, although being a sympathetic design.

Return to “Oceania”