Australian State flags

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
Keir

Australian State flags

Postby Keir » 28 Sep 2009 10:19

Various images of printed State flags- South Australia, Queensland and Tasmania
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keir on 30 Sep 2009 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Keir

Re: Australian State flags

Postby Keir » 28 Sep 2009 10:23

Victoria and Western Australia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keir

Postby Keir » 05 Oct 2009 14:34

New South Wales

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 30 Dec 2009 13:30

See the site http://bc.id.au/flags/ for some examples of proposed new Australian state flags, which are beautifully rendered and well thought out. The proposed flags make much more sense and are more meaningful than the current flags. The only design that I take issue with is the map flag of Tasmania which I think is rather weak, putting maps on flags usually hints at either a lack of imagination or some sort of compromise (Cyprus). I contacted the chap who designed these flags (Brendan Jones) suggesting that inclusion of a thylacine - an indigenous marsupial of the island -would make for a more interesting symbol on the flag; the animal already features in the state's arms. Since mankind appears to have wiped the animal off the planet it seems only fitting that it should be remembered on a flag. Brendan's designs are clever stylised images and whilst he largely agreed that a thylacine image would make for a good flag, he found my illustration a little too realistic and said he would try to come up with a similarly stylised version to match his other proposals.

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 28 Nov 2011 05:47

vexilo wrote:See the site http://bc.id.au/flags/ for some examples of proposed new Australian state flags, which are beautifully rendered and well thought out. The proposed flags make much more sense and are more meaningful than the current flags. The only design that I take issue with is the map flag of Tasmania which I think is rather weak, putting maps on flags usually hints at either a lack of imagination or some sort of compromise (Cyprus). I contacted the chap who designed these flags (Brendan Jones) suggesting that inclusion of a thylacine - an indigenous marsupial of the island -would make for a more interesting symbol on the flag; the animal already features in the state's arms. Since mankind appears to have wiped the animal off the planet it seems only fitting that it should be remembered on a flag. Brendan's designs are clever stylised images and whilst he largely agreed that a thylacine image would make for a good flag, he found my illustration a little too realistic and said he would try to come up with a similarly stylised version to match his other proposals.

some rather evolting suggestions on that site to be honest...

I would like to see WA have a golden ensign to be honest and the Swan in a gold disc retained with a black circle.

Governors flag could have the same but with the crown on top of the disc.

Armiger

Postby Armiger » 29 Nov 2011 09:44

The proposed Tasmania flag would be impossible to manufacture as a sewn flag. It would have to be printed. One of the marks of a successful flag design in my view is that it could be made at home if necessary rather than factory-made and bought in a shop.
Chris Green

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 02 Dec 2011 16:47

Armiger wrote:The proposed Tasmania flag would be impossible to manufacture as a sewn flag. It would have to be printed. One of the marks of a successful flag design in my view is that it could be made at home if necessary rather than factory-made and bought in a shop.

the designs are virtually rubbish and resemble a corporation. I am disgusted at how "modern" flags reflect this gimmicky aspect.

And this sounds like treason but im sick to death of our obsession of the southern cross on EVERY THING... sticks to high heaven of bogan small minded cultrue and used by at least 14 nations and territories.

As for it to be easily made at home, a funny experience in Qatar for the Asian cup where they would sell on the road side handmade team supporter gear and well they indian and african migrant workers would have no idea how to construct the australian flag or how the constellation is arranged or points etc... one had 10 stars on it which was funny.

26May1989

Postby 26May1989 » 16 Jan 2013 12:33

Just thought I'd add this link to some alternative state flags: http://djc9.tripod.com/newflag/states.htm
These designs are by Dylan Crawfoot and are generally better than those proposed by Brendan Jones. However, I still think there's room for improvement and am working on my owns ideas! I particularly don't like Dylan's Victoria flag (my adopted state) - I don't think many Victorians see their state as Australia's 'fifth state'!

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 17 Jan 2013 05:50

Thanks for the link - some interesting designs. I admire Brendan's consistency of design but I think there are a few worthy proposals here too. I look forward to seeing your own ideas - particularly Tasmania.

26May1989

Postby 26May1989 » 17 Jan 2013 12:16

I think it's that 'consistancy' that I don't like. It would be likely that each state would adopt a new flag independently and certainly would not accept any interference from the Commonwealth government. Approaching each flag separately, as Dylan has done, is much more practical.
By the way, of all the ideas I've sketched out Tasmania has been the least successful!

Return to “Oceania”