NZ flag referendum: 40-design long list announced

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
timurthelenk

Re: NZ flag referendum: 40-design long list announced

Postby timurthelenk » 29 Nov 2015 09:20

I'm French and neutral to the debate. What I can just say is it will be perceived positive here if NZ (and Australia) could have a well distinct flag, distinct from UK. As did Canada (maybe the red leaf saved Canada from partition). NZ is known for All Blacks in France.
As pointed by others here, a drawback I see is the complex fern. For the cards game I invented, OVALIA (http://www.drivethrucards.com/product/143060/Ovalia), I have used a simplified one.
http://ovalia.cazaux.free.fr/equipe-nz.htm
NZ people will say. Long live NZ.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 11 Dec 2015 12:55

Preliminary results show narrow lead for fern and stars with black. Close behind fern and stars with red. Overseas postal votes could reverse this order.

Meinsauer

Postby Meinsauer » 15 Dec 2015 18:46

Bruno

Postby Bruno » 13 Feb 2016 15:52

My proposal for new flag, even if the votes has ended and even if I support the old flag.

BZ flag proposal 3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ododobe

Postby ododobe » 12 Mar 2016 14:34

Between you me and the flag post I think this is all a bit of a mess.
Some how the government has got people thinking this is the only chance they will have to change our flag which is pushing people towards the tea towel that is up against the current flag.
But the one good thing that came out of this whole process it got myself and many others to look at and talk about flags in a different way.
For me it has sparked something that I never knew was in there and I have enjoyed learning and designing flags over the last few months.
And with that information and a quick analysis of the meta tag data that came from the initial stages of the the process, most common symbols, colours and format, I came up with this design.

The white panel at the hoist is symbolic of New Zealand's traditional Maori name Aeotearoa, land of the long white cloud.
The two blue panels on the fly are representative of the fact that New Zealand is where the Pacific Ocean and Tasman Sea meet which is unique.
And of course the stars are the southern cross.
So if you read it left to right it is the land of the long white cloud where the two bodies of water meet under the southern cross.

Nathan Stevens
Amatuer Vexillologist / Professional Graphic Designer
New Zealand

Flag Explanation:Red, Black, White stripes on the hoist represent Tino Rangatiratanga, Maori Heritage, the Black and White on the fly represent Cornish ancestry.

Tisserand

Postby Tisserand » 18 Mar 2016 22:23

Hello,

Does anyone know what the current results of the vote ?

ododobe

Postby ododobe » 19 Mar 2016 06:12

Voting closes next thursday and no updates have been made available.
Nathan Stevens
New Zealand

Flag Explanation:Red, Black, White stripes on the hoist represent Tino Rangatiratanga, Maori Heritage, the Black and White on the fly represent Cornish ancestry.

Tisserand

Postby Tisserand » 19 Mar 2016 12:24

These are the people who voted for this flag project.
You do not like it I think.
Was there another flag you prefer among all the flags that were designed for the occasion?

ododobe

Postby ododobe » 19 Mar 2016 13:27

There were a lot of good designs on offer (from 10,286 submissions) but the group selected to choose the short list, and the final four, did not include vexillologists or even a designer and I believe they went into the process with an agenda. It has all been a bit dodgy with the government wanting a particular symbol, the silver fern, because it fits in with all of its other branding initiatives. The Black and White fern from the final four was actually the logo for New Zealand Trade Enterprise and Tourism NZ amoungst a few.
But that is just my opinion on it and there are plenty of others.

As for the voting the people get to vote for the final stages which culminate on Thursday.
First vote was a postal referendum to pick the flag that would go up against the current one by rating them 1 to 5.
The second vote that is in full swing at the moment is another postal referendum new versus old.

I personally want to change the flag and have nothing against the symbolism but I just don't like the design they are proposing.
Nathan Stevens
New Zealand

Tisserand

Postby Tisserand » 19 Mar 2016 16:02

Have you already voted?

It is true that even among the "long list" of 39 flags : the same symbols recur regularly (fern, wave...).

In my case, I found particularly successful this proposal (and other proposals of Robert Delaveau).
https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-wit ... sign/26088

Return to “Oceania”