New Fijian flag

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
Leonardo Piccioni

New Fijian flag

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 02 Jan 2013 16:13

Fiji will change its flag soon, because a new Constitution will be approved in first months of 2013. The Union Jack will be removed, as announced, and the Queen was yet removed from the coins. See:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/new-flag-planned-for-fiji/story-e6freuz9-1226546446509
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/union-jack-may-disappear-from-fiji-flag/story-e6frg6so-1226546495383

How do you guess the new Fiji flag will look? My suggestion:

The white dove comes from pre-colonial flags (see below), representing both the Holy Spirit and hope. The palm tree comes from coat of arms and rugby team logo. The dove is exceptionally turned right as looking for the country's future. Green is for hope and land, blue is estability, sea and sky.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Re: New Fijian flag

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 13 Jan 2013 20:26

The dove and palm tree are both good symbols, for heritage and recognition respectively.

Not a massive fan of the use of green though, which feels a tad generic. I've always associated sky blue, black and white with Fiji as those are the representative colours used by the national rugby team.

It'll be interesting to see what the Fijian government comes up with though!

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 16 Jan 2013 05:47

As long as they don't just remove the Union Jack and then shift the arms to the centre .....

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 10 Feb 2013 12:31

looks like the Saudi Football Association logo :lol:

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 18 Mar 2013 19:56

A newer attempt:

See rationale.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 19 Mar 2013 09:12

A couple of quick thoughts, based on the colours of the historical flag. The boat in the second one comes from the crest of the coat of arms.

fiji1.png

fiji2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 19 Mar 2013 16:02

The second one is pretty fine, but I doubt that Kingdom of Fiji's symbols would reappear so strongly on the new Republican Constitution, but I think that even if the coat of arms were replaced (to remove St. George's cross?), the ship would someway appear.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 19 Mar 2013 23:04

Fiji is an odd country. It has been a republic, with a President as head of state, since 1987, despite keeping the British flag in its flag and the Queen's head on its money, and despite the traditional chiefs still regarding Elizabeth II as their paramount chief. It obviously has no problem with retaining earlier royal symbols as part of its republican identity (there were loud protests at the removal of the Queen from their money).

But I do wonder whether the new flag might contain some more distinctive Fijian design, if and when it appears.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 21 Mar 2013 01:00

Not sure about the boat charge which looks a little indistinct but I really like the colours and pattern of the second flag with the red triangle at at the hoist. Whilst the light blue shade is obviously very Fijian and a fairly little used flag colour I think the other charges struggle a little to stand out against it but the dove and palm tree do seem to be fairly emblematic of the island. So just for comparison I thought I'd create some variations on your ideas.

Fij.JPG

Fij palm.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 21 Mar 2013 19:56

Leonardo’s black, white and blue colour scheme certainly has my favour. The colours are likely to have more modern resonance (though never having been to the island I am basing this on their rugby team which I understand to be very popular in the country and possibly the highest profile ‘standard bearers’ for the nation around the world).

Though saying that the red colour certainly has pedigree owing to the original flag. Of those the ‘point down’ triangle sort of appeals as the triangle almost serves as a large abstract escutcheon and thus feels like a modern twist on a recreation of that original flag. The dove is shared as a symbol by neighbouring Tonga so I think the palm tree, specifically black, remains a better symbol.

Interesting to see these ideas develop though!

Return to “Oceania”