Changing the Australian Flag

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
Lijenchina

Re: Changing the Australian Flag

Postby Lijenchina » 09 Oct 2013 00:43

As by Ausflag site, this design won the public opinion, and this one was at the 1st. place.
So, many Aussies accepted this design, which is even better than mine design up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 02 Nov 2013 21:07

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:
This is a very interesting example because it is the exact opposite of what you are claiming. In fact, what happened in the South African case was exactly the same that happened in India: they preferred to create a design that featured an amalgamation of national symbols from both sides.

Sorry, but it's exactly what most of the proposals on this thread do.
On the two flags above, for example, we have very clear references to both current flag (that shows mostly only British symbolism) and the Aboriginal symbolism:
Image Image
And you can't simply India and South Africa flags don't work pretty well.
On the first flag, it's added green and gold. You can say they are traditional Australian symbols, because, in your own words "it has to be symbolic of a group; it has to be well accepted by the group, as a whole; and it has to be passed from one person to another (and, consequently, from one generation to the next)." The kangaroo is other strong Australian symbols: it appears on military badges, the Australian roundel, sports, etc., and is as well accepted as an Australian symbol.
Image Image Image

yeah but these designs are horrible...

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 03 Nov 2013 04:40

Some good designs have appeared on a poll recently.
https://sites.google.com/site/ausflagpoll/

Ins spite of the URL, it's not run by AusFlag, but by members of an independent Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChangeTheAussieFlag
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Mididoom

Golden Commonwealth -- My Australian Flag Redesign

Postby Mididoom » 10 Jul 2015 06:38

Golden Commonwealth:

It features the Federation Star rendered gold, just as it is upon the Coat of Arms of Australia, and the Australian version of the Southern Cross both upon a green background, which combines our national colours green and gold together.

To me, this is the most straightforward vexillologically and heraldically correct flag for Australia. It doesn't overcomplicate things. it just uses familiar symbols in a way that makes sense.

We also have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/goldencommonwealth

What do you guys think?
Kyron Bracey

Golden Commonwealth -- The new yet timeless flag for all Australians

Hans L.

Re: Golden Commonwealth -- My Australian Flag Redesign

Postby Hans L. » 10 Jul 2015 13:07

Essentially Franck Gentil's winning entry in the 2000 Ausflag competition, but with a green background instead of a blue one? I like the colors in this design better, though.

Mididoom

Postby Mididoom » 10 Jul 2015 15:41

Pretty much, yeah XD. Although I did keep the original dimensions, proportions, etc. of the Comm. Star and Southern Cross, while he didn't. All that stuff is up for changing though. The basic idea is the most important. Thanks! ^_^
Kyron Bracey

Golden Commonwealth -- The new yet timeless flag for all Australians

ododobe

Postby ododobe » 12 Mar 2016 13:56

Decide to throw my three cents worth on this one. Ok, maybe more than three cents.
I decided to go with traditional symbols and colours with the blue panel with the white Commonwealth star at the hoist emulating the current flag.
Also using the Southern Cross from the current flag on the traditional Australian green and gold.

I will confess at this point that it is along similar lines to my idea for the new New Zealand flag.
Although there is rivalry between the our two countries, especially when it comes to the flag, there is a symbiotic relationship between both of us.
Having flags based on a similar structure would connect us, and possibly Madagascar and Benin, much the same way the Nordic Crosses do.

Of course everybody loves a Kangaroo. Especially when it has Uluru in the background.

Nathan Stevens
Amatuer Vexillologist / Professional Graphic Designer
New Zealand

Flag Explanation:Red, Black, White stripes on the hoist represent Tino Rangatiratanga, Maori Heritage, the Black and White on the fly represent Cornish ancestry.

Return to “Oceania”