Changing the Australian Flag

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Changing the Australian Flag

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 12 Feb 2013 04:38

Smertios wrote:I think I'd just make the stars in the Southern Cross a bit smaller, though.

Something like this? It's the Southern Cross exactly how it looks on current Australian flag:
comment-to-blaxland2-Smertiosrequest.png

However, I started liking those enormous stars. They came from original Blaxland's proposals and, for me, it says "Oh, look at this giant Southern Cross! We are Australian and we are [censored] proud about it!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 12 Feb 2013 09:24

Smertios wrote:What I'm trying to say here is simply that I don't consider it a break in tradition. They simply took the old flag (the red ensign), removed all non-Canadian symbols (leaving only the maple leaf), and rearranged the forms a bit.

Re-arranging the forms "a bit" involved inventing a new heraldic ordinary : the Canadian pale. Of course traditional elements were kept, as is true of most of the proposals here, but the form of the flag was entirely new and non-traditional, although it has since become a common Canadian feature.

As for the maple leaf, not only was the stylized single leaf an innovation, but even the colour had only been adopted seven years earlier : before 1957, the leaves on the coat of arms were depicted as green.

Smertios

Postby Smertios » 12 Feb 2013 23:07

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:Something like this? It's the Southern Cross exactly how it looks on current Australian flag:
comment-to-blaxland2-Smertiosrequest.png

However, I started liking those enormous stars. They came from original Blaxland's proposals and, for me, it says "Oh, look at this giant Southern Cross! We are Australian and we are [censored] proud about it!"

Yes, that one looks better, in my opinion. But I think the size of charges is mostly a matter of preference.

PaulJames wrote:Re-arranging the forms "a bit" involved inventing a new heraldic ordinary : the Canadian pale. Of course traditional elements were kept, as is true of most of the proposals here, but the form of the flag was entirely new and non-traditional, although it has since become a common Canadian feature.

As for the maple leaf, not only was the stylized single leaf an innovation, but even the colour had only been adopted seven years earlier : before 1957, the leaves on the coat of arms were depicted as green.

Like I said, those innovations were just modifications of the already existing elements. They didn't try to add new stuff to the flag at all. Adding a boomerang or a kangaroo as the predominant symbol in a new Australian flag, changing the colors completely, is akin to adding a tartan to the Canadian flag. It is a national symbol in the country, but it would be too revolutionary of a step.

The creation of the Canadian pale might have been an innovation, but again, it wasn't a revolutionary change. They kept the basics: red background, the maple leaf as the main symbol etc. I think many of the proposals that appeared wouldn't really be well accepted by the Canadian people. For example, there are these:

[1]

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 20 Feb 2013 14:32

Earlier, a link to a an Australian flag Facebook page was listed. I've had a look there and combined with the numerous examples on this forum and other pages across the internet I do begin to feel that even if all Australians wanted to change their flag, there are now so many designs proliferating that people have become paralysed by choice.

Click on the link below which is from the Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200496555041612&set=o.2367663401&type=1&permPage=1

to see numerous example of proposed Australian flags - you cycle through the images. NB some are just mock up photos and some are probably not so serious proposals but amidst these are a number of serious designs.

jerbez
Forum Staff

Postby jerbez » 20 Feb 2013 15:02

Waw! After seeing so may proposals (many of them quite good, indeed), I'd rather say 'We better keep the old flag; I've a headache' :D

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 22 Feb 2013 00:08

I'd like to know what the College of Arms would suggest.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

JacobSighs

Postby JacobSighs » 16 Jul 2013 23:19

It would be interesting if they adopted a new flag, based on the Eureka design.
Fest steht und treu die Wacht, die Wacht am Rhein!

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 17 Jul 2013 14:40

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:I'd like to know what the College of Arms would suggest.

I can just see your average Aussie giving a toss what a bunch of pommy fuddy-duddies in London would think about their flag!!! :lol:

Lijenchina

Postby Lijenchina » 07 Oct 2013 22:56

I think that Australian flag should keep the southern cross and just add a simple cangoo symbol in national (yellow-green) colours!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 08 Oct 2013 13:46

Not all Australians would accept a flag with a kangaroo. There are always arguments like "how many countries put the national animal in its flag?" or "it's too stylized, why would you put Qantas logo on flag?".

Return to “Oceania”