Changing the Australian Flag

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
Ggdivhjkjl

Re: Changing the Australian Flag

Postby Ggdivhjkjl » 01 Feb 2013 14:53

Anyone interested in discussing the design of a distinctively Australian flag please feel free to join us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChangeTheAussieFlag/

Currently, the Sovereign Flag seems to be the popular favourite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 01 Feb 2013 17:56

Under 26May1989 request:
comment-to-blaxland2.png

I tried to emulate the Australian Aboriginal flag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

26May1989

Postby 26May1989 » 04 Feb 2013 13:22

Thanks Leonardo. I think the original design was trying to emulate the Aboriginal flag with the gold star (instead of the gold disc) on black and red. One minor point - I would prefer any new Australian flag to follow the 1:2 proportions of the existing one.
Whilst I'm still a supporter of the existing Australian flag I think Leonardo's latest amended version of this proposal has a great deal of merit. If we are the have a new flag I'd much rather run this one up my flag pole than many of the others (especially that dreadful green and gold 'Sovereign flag' which might look okay at the MCG on Boxing Day for an Ashes test match but certainly not flying from Parliament House in Canberra!).
I also think that it has the advantage that it could be easily adapted into a red ensign, white (RAN) ensign and RAAF ensign. My idea would be that for the red ensign the red and blue would be reversed, for the white ensign the white stars and blue would be reversed and for the RAAF ensign the blue would be altered to sky (air force) blue with the southern cross tilted towards the hoist and RAAF roundel added to the lower fly.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 04 Feb 2013 15:45

A 1:2 version of last flag:
comment-to-blaxland2-1x2.png

I'd like to say that 1:2 ratio has being used largely only in Commonwealth and ex-communist countries, while 3:5 and 2:3 are global favorites. However, 1:2 ratio must be liked for both Australian general people and Australian flag makers.

A set of variants:
comment-to-blaxland2-1x2-set.png

Firstly, the national flag. Following, two red ensigns: one with red in place of blue and one with blue and red reversed (is it what you are saying, 26May1989?). After those, a white ensign, an air ensign and a flag variant to sportive use.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Smertios

Postby Smertios » 04 Feb 2013 22:43

I like this sovereign flag. But I'd switch the position of the Southern Cross and Commonwealth Star, to match the pattern of the territories' flags.

26May1989

Postby 26May1989 » 09 Feb 2013 01:07

Once again I must thank Leonardo for his interpretation of my comments with his varient designs and I think the 1:2 ratio looks better. One day I'll work out how to do it myself on computer but I'm struggling to advance beyond pencil and paper!
I like these designs and I do think that this should be an important part of considering a new flag. Looking at them I think I would retain the black on red chevron/triangle with white fimbration on all varients. Therefore removing the blue fimbration from the white ensign and using the first of the two red ensigns (although I'd like to see some blue in it - any ideas?)

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 09 Feb 2013 04:06

You are welcome, 26May1989.

About the red ensign, I think the better way to add blue without ignoring the rule of tincture or adding any fimbriation is like I did below. The red is on inferior part because it would be more visible on the sea.

I tried to remove the blue fimbriation on white ensign, but I think it looks "diminished".
comment-to-blaxland2-1x2-set1.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

About my editing tools, I should say I'm a very newbie amateur photo editor, and I use only free tools. I use mainly the Paint.NET, that I hyper-highly recommend [download]. It's very intuitive, because it's the most similar to MS Paint between the poweful tools, and can do almost everything that Adobe Photoshop can (if can't do, probably there's a free plugin that helps doing). It's compatible to every Windows after XP SP3, and the only extra knowledge you need is the simplest notion of image layers. If you use Linux, you can try GIMP [download], which's more advanced and complicated, also available to Windows after XP SP3. For vectorial images, I recommend Inkscape [download], although I don't have much practice on it.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 09 Feb 2013 05:33

I made vector images of them using Inkscape. Look a lot nicer, don't they?
comment-to-blaxland2-1x2-fromvector.png

comment-to-blaxland2-1x2-set-fromvector.png

The forum doesn't allow SVG files. If you want the original files, contact me via private message.

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 10 Feb 2013 12:30

oh my goodness. Too much is going on in these flags. So much colour is making it so sore on the eyes.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 10 Feb 2013 19:52

I do think that in vexillographical terms the current Australia flag is lacking - being a standard blue ensign only differenced by a constellation of stars. Though, like GoldenWest, I find the 'boomerang' flags a little garish. Despite Leonardo's best efforts I just find the results still to look a little like a uncomfortable mashing together of two other flags/styles rather than being its own distinct flag. Additionally I'm never keen on having a charge (in this case the constellation) too near the fly where it will be hard to see in flight and impossible to see when at rest.

Currently I think the Sovereign Flag is easily the best flag alternative on offer, though I agree with Smertios that reversing the two divisions (as I have tried below) would make sense as it would reflect the 'federal template' as seen in the ACT and NT flags. The commonwealth star makes a good symbols for all of Australia and the Southern Cross (as GoldenWest points out in another thread is usually overused) is also acceptable for an pan-Australia given the meaning of the name Australia.

I've had a go at Smertios' suggestion and think this works really nicely - is distinctive and dignified, and up there with the Canadian flag

Return to “Oceania”