Changing the Australian Flag

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Changing the Australian Flag

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 26 Jan 2013 17:10

Today is Australia Day, and I post a version of Sun and Stars flag with Eureka feeling to review:
australia6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 28 Jan 2013 10:37

lizard-socks

Postby lizard-socks » 29 Jan 2013 03:30

I like the design in the link. It's nice when a flag can evoke the British flag without actually using it.
The only thing I would change is the red boomerang shape to use straight lines (like a sideways chevron) - rounded shapes remind me too much of corporate logos.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 29 Jan 2013 04:29

The image on link is this:

I agree with lizard-socks about the curved shapes. Moreover, I can't easily agree with the green fimbriation on stars, that seems to fades on blue, and the 250 dots. If the dots won't be made with permanent markers in homemade flags, it's as realizable as an American flag with 250 stars. And it seems like a logo, I can't see it flying as a legitimate national flag.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 29 Jan 2013 18:58

Not very keen on this either - too intricate, ineffective fimbriation and way too corporate logo like in appearance.

Jens

Postby Jens » 31 Jan 2013 09:40

Problem with a flag like that and many other proposals is that there are too many colours.
I would say that a flag should have max. 3 different colours.
Cheers

Jens Voigt

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 31 Jan 2013 16:58

There's an infinite number of nice flags with four colors:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Some cool with five colors:
Image Image

And even six colors:

I think the problem with this last flag is the over-representation. What about something like these?
comment-to-blaxland.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 31 Jan 2013 20:21

I agree with you Leonardo - limiting flags to three colours destroys creativity and variety. Too many colours can be overwhelming but as you have demonstrated superbly, a bit of judcicious design nullifies any potential problems like that. Hats off to you for your rationalisation of that over-designed Australian proposal - much more sensible and a much better flag;

lenpicaus.gif

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 31 Jan 2013 21:31

Thank you very much, vexilo, but I don't deserve all those compliments.

Some Australian designs I've seen use the East Timor flag as pattern to the boomerang effect, creating something like this:
comment-to-blaxland1.png

Is it only me or forum people prefers the other boomerang too?

26May1989

Postby 26May1989 » 01 Feb 2013 03:46

I like Leonardo's tidying up of this proposal, especially the red 'boomarang' pointing towards the southern cross, and it's a great improvement on the most recent Ausflag proposal. May I suggest the red from 'lenpicaus.gif' is just turned around rather than replicating the East Timor flag and adding white fimbriation either side of the red to separate it from the black and blue (or just between the red and blue) and to retain the link with the Union Flag of the original flag proposal?

Return to “Oceania”