Changing the Australian Flag

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
ccathcart

Changing the Australian Flag

Postby ccathcart » 13 May 2010 07:22

Hi all.

In case you missed it 60 minutes hosted a debate about changing the national Australian flag.

Here is the link: http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1043624

It was shown on ANZAC day in Australia, and I thought I would post the link here for anybody interested.

What is now shown here is the vitriol, hate and blatant racism shown by some of the supporters for retaining the current flag.

Hope you enjoy.

P.S. Sorry if this is a repost.
"In politics, an absurdity is not a handicap." - Bonaparte

http://edwincrump.info

Meinsauer

Re: Changing the Australian Flag

Postby Meinsauer » 13 May 2010 09:32

Thank you for posting the video. It was very interesting. Not being an Aussie myself, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on your country's flag. But I did catch one guy wondering what we in the USA thought of our flag. I am pleased to say that people here are mostly quite happy with the flag we currently have; it is our national anthem which draws the similar controversy.

26May1989

Postby 26May1989 » 20 Aug 2010 13:55

Thank you for posting this as I didn't see the original broadcast on Channel 9. This is an interesting debate but the 60 minutes programme was too sensationalist (as is typical of commercial television news and currents affairs in Australia) and offered nothing new to the debate.
There is a fair amount of ignorance about the flag's design - as there is, say, in the UK about the Union Flag - although it does seem very popular. The majority of Australians don't seem to be falling out of love with it, if anything it's more popular now than ever before.
As I'm a Briton living in Australia I'm fairly agnostic about keeping or changing the flag (I wouldn't have a vote anyway!). However, in my opinion the current Australian flag is a very attractive design that 'works'. I've yet to see a design that really stands out as a clear alternative. And that's the problem for Ausflag and those campaigning for a change - they cannot agree on an alternative and the political will for a change is almost non-existant.

jerbez
Forum Staff

Postby jerbez » 23 Jan 2012 10:22

Here's a new proposal for a new Australian flag:
http://newaustralianflag.org/
Too many colours, in my opinion.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 23 Jan 2012 10:27

I agree. It almost works but needs some de-cluttering I think. The star in the central disc looks awkward - better to enlarge the southern cross so that the disc is encompassed within it and the green (jade?) stripe is oddly placed - seems arbitrarily added.

Meinsauer

Postby Meinsauer » 24 Jan 2012 11:43

I kind of like it with the exception of that blue star. Not only does it knock the symmetry all kitty-whampus, but it looks like it just stabbed the poor kangaroo in the butt. I notice some of the other flags do omit that star from the constellation, so there is some precedent. Otherwise, IMHO it looks pretty good.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 29 Jan 2012 21:05

The fifth star does tend to help distinguish Australia from New Zealand, where it is indeed omitted. There are a myriad proposed designs across the net for a new Australian flag. A lot of them try to crowd a number of themes and colours. Red white and blue are often retained for their historical value whilst green and gold also often appear; used by many Australian sporting teams they are seen as the national colours so it does seem sensible to feature them on the national flag. A number of proposed flags try to combine these two colour schemes and I feel this doesn’t usually work too well. One of the more successful attempts I think is this one which mixes the traditonal blue field and stars with a wavy green and gold stripe.

ausprop1.gif

I'm far from being an expert on Aboriginal art but at first glance the wavy stripe pattern does smack of that culture. I think the design a is a clever synthesis both of different heritages and also of tradition and novelty.

Another design which I think is an attractive flag dispenses altogether with the traditional blue and red and opts just for the green and gold arrangement. I think it is most effective although I'd be inclined to dispense with the thin white stripe. Alternatively one might also consider changing the white stars to the same gold as the colour of the fly.

ausprop2.gif

Another clever idea is based (or so I assume) on the celebrated Eureka Stockade Flag, an egregious Australian symbol with some heritage. This proposal appears to blend the design of that early flag with the green and gold colour scheme.

ausprop5.gif

Again I find this quite a pleasing flag except of course that the white fimbriation cannot work against the gold or yellow field. One could just opt for the basic green cross of course or if a fimbriation is felt necessary perhaps one that is doubled with an extra green stripe, of the same hue as the green cross, against the white might work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vexilo on 30 Jan 2012 20:43, edited 4 times in total.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 29 Jan 2012 21:24

The kangeroo is another very obvious Australian motif. It features in this proposed flag, in the favoured green and gold colours,

ausprop3.gif

in what I think is a finely balanced pattern with the southern cross at the hoist. Although again, in my view, an attractive flag, I would certainly realign the star cluster on a more conventional vertical axis and also make it larger.

Finally though I think my personal favourite of all the designs I have come across has no green and in fact not even a southern cross, yet to me seems intrinsically Australian.

ausprop4.gif

I can almost feel the sizzling heat rising from the typically scorched red Australian earth in this flag, as a kangeroo bounds across the burning golden sun. To me this flag is quintessentially Australian. Of course the colours and the sun are also those of the Aboriginal flag and I imagine that this is no coincidence but irrespective of that I just feel that the design works tremendously well - it's certainly distinctive, highly emblematic of the nation, simply constructed and in my view attractive and eye catching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 31 Jan 2012 15:31

oh god, these are corporation flags that belong on a container ship or a festival or a car yard...

these flags are horrible

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 31 Jan 2012 15:37

Image Image

Image Image

Return to “Oceania”